Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:01 PM
muntz guy

Muntz Projection TV

I have a fair-good condition, working Muntz projection TV that I would like to sell. I have to confess, I haven't done the research on it yet, so I don't have a clue how collectable it is, or it's value.

It has a tweaked 13" Sony Trinitron (man, those things were great) sitting face-up, with a box on top, that contains a mirror, to a lens that shoots onto another mirror, then the screen. This is all in a faux wood cabinet, with a pull-out panel, and a roll-down cover.

I purchased it new, about 30 years ago. It is in working order, although I haven't used it for about 20 years. It was serviced just once.

If you or anyone else knows of where/how I could research this, or, is interested in it, please feel free to contact me (xcraigslist@yahoo.com). I'm in Los Angeles.

PS - I've also got a Muntz "compact" video camera with all the fixings, in working condition (also sitting for many years).
Old 06-04-2005, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

This had me puzzled for just a minute but then I remembered reading, somewhere in an old thread, that Muntz in his later years sold projection sets, I think around LA? Somebody mentioned meeting Madman Muntz at the store, IIRC.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
muntz guy

Yes, Steve D emailed me about that. He had visited the Van Nuys, CA store where I purchased the set, and a bunch of other goodies. That store was always fun to visit, with lots of gadgets, etc. I shopped there when they closed the doors, picked up a bunch of good stuff.

Looks like I will just have to try and sell the set on ebay. Maybe I can get a couple hundred dollars for it (yup, I'm probably dreaming).

I can't believe the first pre-cursor to the big screen TV wouldn't be a collector's item. Maybe I can give it to a museum, and take a tax write-off.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just curious, how old is the set? Somebody out there must want it.

Anybody remember an outfit that used to advertise heavily on daytime TV, maybe it was just locally, call TheatreVision? Sold only big screens, the way they talked they manufactured them but not sure. This was in the 80s. I remember them from the Baltimore/Washington stations when I was a kid.