Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 PM
M is for Memory

Sounds like quite the task. I'd get one of those modern switches that you can scrounge new contacts from and keep it with the set just in case those get discontinued before the new contacts fail......Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Tom!

Even though the manufacturer is able to deliver new switches :

https://www.marquardt-schalter.de/pr...d8e134&lang=EN

I already bought a new and some further old switches on a radio fleamarket for a few Euros because it is like you say: It is always better you own parts you never need than looking for something. This is why I also bought a junk set for a crt and further compatible components like pots, knobs, tubes a HV transformer and so on.

Greetings Josef
Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef View Post
Hello Tom!

Even though the manufacturer is able to deliver new switches :

https://www.marquardt-schalter.de/pr...d8e134&lang=EN

I already bought a new and some further old switches on a radio fleamarket for a few Euros because it is like you say: It is always better you own parts you never need than looking for something. This is why I also bought a junk set for a crt and further compatible components like pots, knobs, tubes a HV transformer and so on.

Greetings Josef
Josef, that is so very true.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Nice to see that this mad "Affliction" of ours isn't limited to just the USA & Canada..
Old 11-21-2015, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello!
@Sandy: Problems are more or less everywhere the same obviously.

Even though I don't use the set very often it became defective in the meantime. The vertical oscillator ran much too slow. Further loud hum came out of the speakers even though the smoothing electrolytics are replaced with new caps.
A least I was able to repair both faults. I replaced the oscillator tube and some drifted high value resistors with old but well measured resistors of better quality. One of the old resistors should have 1 MOhm and measured more than 5MOhm. The audio hum dissapeared after cleaning the contacts of the socket of the audio driver tube.
It seems this set will never work really reliable
I used this opportunity to add a further fuse in the DC circuit to avoid possible damage in case of a short circuit. I took the fuse holder from a junk set also from 1956 I parted out some time ago. I think it fits quite well in my opinion.

Greetings Josef
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2561.jpg (103.3 KB, 23 views)
Audiokarma
Old 11-21-2015, 07:55 PM
M is for Memory

Most tube TVs need annual maintenance to live. Sets like to be used....I once was told the story of an elderly fellow who had a prewar RCA TV that he ran once a week, and because of that it was still going on original caps into the 90's.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-23-2015, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Tom!

I know what you mean and I also own some prewar radios that work with their original caps- at least for a few minutes.
The problem with this TV set is the combination of two devices in one chassis. If you have to replace a resistor it might be possible that you have to desolder 2 other components to reach the part you want to replace. Further this set was built only one year after television was introduced here in Austria. That means the manufacturers had almost no experience in building TV sets and dimensioning the required components and circuits. I'm afraid that is the reason why I have to repair or upgrade so many things.

Greetings Josef
Old 04-21-2016, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello @ all!

It seems I have to correct myself:
The switches I was talking about are not made in Germany any more. I bought 3 pieces of them new for an other application and recogniced that the switches are made in Tunisia today. The quality seems to be still very good. It is still possible to take the switches apart an clean the contacts.

Greetings Josef