Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
In the late 80's or early 90's I bought a very large incandescent bulb at a local freight salvage store, just as a novelty. It appeared to be old stock from the 60's or 70's, a GE. It had unusual markings-I think it included an amp rating but no wattage; had a mogul base. I finally tried it in an old lamp with one of those bases. As the educated on here could guess, when I flipped the switch there was a flash of light, the filament burned out and the circuit breaker tripper. I later learned it was used in a special type of street lamp circuit-series string, I think. I still have the bulb and package because it's kind of neat to look at.
Considering that they were used in circuits that run at such high voltages, and that it tripped the breaker, I doubt it's burned out. Have you seen a broken filament or checked it for continuity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
This is the first time I have seen the word "electrolier" and a quick search shows it to be a widely used generic term, so good luck finding the company that used it as a trade name.
Hard to tell what such a reply is supposed to suggest but it didn't surprise me.

The label is fully intact and more than just printed letters, and I know where the company was based so it shouldn't be that hard. Besides, information for many things Canadian is very difficult to find on Google so I'll just have to check other sources.

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-23-2018 at 03:37 PM.