Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:33 PM
M is for Memory

Another technique if you don't want a big power resistor dumping heat under your chassis is to put multiple Silicon diodes in series. I've read that selenium rectifiers drop around 1V per plate( and are effectively a stack of lower rated selenium PN junctions). Silicon drops .7V per plate.

If you are working on a very power hungry set like the nearly 40 tube CT-100 make sure to use 2.5A diodes or make sure there is at least 2-3 component body's worth of lead separating each diode to allow for heat disapation.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-27-2019, 03:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Another technique if you don't want a big power resistor dumping heat under your chassis is to put multiple Silicon diodes in series. I've read that selenium rectifiers drop around 1V per plate( and are effectively a stack of lower rated selenium PN junctions). Silicon drops .7V per plate.

If you are working on a very power hungry set like the nearly 40 tube CT-100 make sure to use 2.5A diodes or make sure there is at least 2-3 component body's worth of lead separating each diode to allow for heat disapation.
Funny you mentioned it...

I was experimenting with deleting one of the 25 ohm 10 watt dropping resistors because Pin 8 on both the 6X5GT and the 25Z6GT were reading a bit low. My Variac turns out to be a bit over enthusiastic on indicated output.

I took one out, leaving one and the factory 18 ohm 2 watt carbon resistor. After doing some power checks the remaining 25 ohm 10 watt resistor (an old wire wound) opened up and killed the power.

After that, I took it and the 18 watt carbon 2 watt out and subbed a single hollow core green wire wound rated at 40 ohms and 25 watts. Pin 8 readings are spot-on and stable now. And I like having one large ww doing the job.

Neater, too.

Last edited by M3-SRT8; 06-27-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just about ready to load the chassis in the cabinet, but I have two minor problems.

1. Horizontal Position Control, when turned fully clockwise, still leaves about a half inch black bar on the right side of the mask. The Pot tests ok. Is there a resistor I can add to it to increase it's reach?

2. Slight Horizontal Linearity issue. I don't recall any pot to adjust it, and all the high meg 2 watt resistors in the sweep circuits were replaced with much closer tolerances than stock.

Thanks...
Old 09-29-2019, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

There's a couple of Horizontal Deflection Load 2 Watt 4.7 Meg resistors. R88 and R90. Sams 91-6.

Should I go up or down on one/both of these resistors to increase reach?
Old 09-29-2019, 07:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

It appears my set doesn't have, or never had, a Horizontal Linearity Adjustment, labeled B2 per Sams, under V17 12SN7GT.

What now, pray tell?
Audiokarma
Old 09-30-2019, 05:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey...where is everybody?

I thought you guys were smart...
Old 09-30-2019, 07:56 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

THEY Are. I, OTOH.....Ain't...