Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:53 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

RF Feedback in a Mobile

I’m about to install my Icom 7000 HF/VHF/UHF xcvr in my compact car. In every other mobile HF installation I’ve done, I’ve been bedeviled with RF feedback problems, some of which were still there when I either wore out the mobile mount or it had suffered catastrophic structural damage. Plus, this time, I’m remote mounting the radio in the luggage compartment and putting the control head on the dash. So, any thoughts from others who’ve been down this path of late? The IC-7000 will be mated into an Outbacker Perth on HF and a Diamond collinear on 2m/70cm, both on magnet mounts atop the passenger compartment. 73
Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is no panacea. You need to discover where the stray rf is entering the rig, and reduce it. Ferrite beads, ground straps, relocation of antenna, and so on are some of the tools you may need.

The most common entry points are the microphone cable (assuming you will be using a microphone) and the power cable. In addition, you now have the remote cable with which to contend.

Perhaps your manual offers some suggestions.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

The manual offers no suggestions. Made my first 59 QSO w/the rig this afternoon -after grounding the antenna to an an aluminum grounding braid I found in the left rear wheel well.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ground the head from the headphone jack.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Since you didn't mention the make of your car, you might check here for your specific auto manufacturer's guidelines or information on installing 2-way radio equipment.

http://www.arrl.org/auto-manufacturer-s-policies

But as bob91343 said there's no panacea. Every installation is different, and what happens at one frequency may not happen at any other. I'd recommend studying the recommended installation methods, try it and go from there.
Audiokarma
Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

The mobile mount is a 2006 Hummer H3. The trick to successfully grounding it was found when I crawled under it. There is a 1/4" wide aluminum braid coming off the powered sub-woofer of the "Monsoon" sound system. grounding the rig and the base of the antenna mount solved a multitude of evils.