Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Question Pack a CRT screen DOWN?

Hi,
I'm not a beginner at packing electronics but really struggling here on how to best pack a 21" Sony Trinitron from the late 70's, which is pretty big for a 21" and very heavy. Not sure of the model but it's probably this one:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_k...cc_100s.html#b

It's for a move but would not be shipped the typical way. But I still want to secure it. I have a question: Is it alright to pack it SCREEN DOWN? I would obviously put a lot of foam underneath and all around too, with heavy blankets etc... This way would possibly make it easier for me to slide it in the box and pack but also, I feel, would distribute the handling forces, bumps etc.. more evenly. But, screen down? Any issue with it? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:22 AM
Convergence freak!

I think that's a good idea. I've packed both ways screen down and normal. The only worry I have sometimes with screen down is pressure from shipping company stacking heavy boxes on top. That could crush the neck of the CRT. Otherwise I've been pretty lucky so far. Just pack it well and big box, lots of foam.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:21 AM
M is for Memory

If you are shipping the raw CRT then that is the way to go...I have a couple NOS channel master replacement CRTs and they were packed face down on styrofoam. With a cardboard inner protector around the neck.

In your shoes I'd probably ship the set in operating position...in a moving truck scenario the sides typically don't face impact, but the tops do crush.... Imagine the box with 10 heavier boxes stacked on top of it... that can happen.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-23-2019, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have the KV-1920. Those tend to be too heavy and could tip in a box easily. Yes, I think screen down would be the way to go. Also maybe double box. A smaller one inside a bigger one with adequate packing between the 2 boxes.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 10-23-2019, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

For shipping, screen down is the only way I've ever seen them packed during 30+ years in the trade.
Audiokarma
Old 10-23-2019, 05:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys, really appreciate your replies. Slight correction, my exact model is the KV-2142R. But the advice is still relevant. Thanks again.