Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Used to be my parents line of thinking...Until mom got a new '89 Chevy Baretta. That car was the worst lemon I've ever seen....
That car drove my Mom away from American cars too. She bought an '88 Baretta GT new. It lasted 74k miles and must have gone through four or five alternators and batteries in eight years. It also used to eat up those Eagle GT+4 tires. The last time I saw it before the motor locked up it was leaking fluids - all of them. She's owned two used Corollas since 1997 and they have both been great reliable cars.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
That car drove my Mom away from American cars too. She bought an '88 Baretta GT new. It lasted 74k miles and must have gone through four or five alternators and batteries in eight years. It also used to eat up those Eagle GT+4 tires. The last time I saw it before the motor locked up it was leaking fluids - all of them. She's owned two used Corollas since 1997 and they have both been great reliable cars.
I never kept it a secret, that I don't like GM products.
I only owned one in 49 years and that was 42 years ago. That was another pig that leaked all the fluids, including the rear end.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I only owned one in 49 years and that was 42 years ago. That was another pig that leaked all the fluids, including the rear end.
Do not forget GM's leaky windshields, fresh-air cowls, rear windows and trunks. Yes I love my old Pontiacs but they DO leak, so they stay inside
Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I've owned bad products from Ford, GM, and Chrysler Corp., as well as a couple of foreign builders. That alone would not keep me from buying another of their products, as I have also had very good cars from the same builders.

There is often a price you have to pay to drive the vehicle you want to. For example, if you want to drive a vintage British or Italian sports car, you'd better bring a set of tools and spare parts along with you, and also have a friend who is a good mechanic. For the most part, we accept that we have to make some sacrifices to own and drive the cars we like.

Currently, the Toyota van I bought new in 2006 (manufactured in Indiana) has been the most reliable and trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned. It just hit 110,000 miles on the odometer, and has needed nothing other than the routine scheduled maintenance. It often tows a 5 by 12 foot enclosed trailer to radio meets, estate sales, and auctions. And it still looks good. If I had parked my Geo (Suzuki) Metros or Dodge (Mitsubishi) Colts outdoors as long, they would have completely rusted away.