Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2024, 01:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

UPDATE: I'm going on about 3 months now since I've "rebuilt" the rotor I salvaged from the parts clock I bought from feebay and the clock is still running strong yet and it hasn't skipped a beat and is just as accurate as any of my other alarm clocks I have.

Now to give you my method I used to "rebuild" my rotor:

1.) I first disassembled the rotor assembly from the clock mechanism and removed the rotor from its plastic housing by removing the large step-up gear from the output shaft of the rotor and then popping the rotor out of its plastic housing.

2.) I then took an 1/8" drillbit and drilled a hole into the topside of the wider outer diameter of the rotor that way you avoid hitting the gears inside the rotor.

3.) I then dribbled some oil (20 wt non-detergent oil for electric motors for example) down into the rotor housing until it was just about to run out the hole that was drilled into the housing, and then I took a pair of pliers and gently rotated the output shaft on the rotor in the clockwise direction until I felt the gears inside the rotor free up inside and the rotor's output shaft would rotate freely without much effort from the pliers.

4.) I then finally sealed up the hole I drilled into the housing with some
high-temp silicone sealant and let it setup for 24 hours and then put the rotor back into its plastic housing reinstalled the step-up gear and reinstalled the rotor assembly back into the clock and plugged it in and sure enough the clock was running like new again (albeit a little on the noisy side but that's because its a Telechron based rotor and even the original Telechron rotors weren't completely silent when running correctly because its just the nature of the beast unfortunately.)

I hope this helps some people here resurrect their dead Sony Digimatics as well.