Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony Wega 32" from 2004 with DA4 chassis

Picked up 3 tvs the other day that were discarded and among them was a 32" Sony Wega 32" with the DA4 chassis. I had worked on one of these a couple years ago and replaced the two ic chips due to blinking led and got it up and running only to find out it had took a jolt and the shadow mask had been disrupted causing major color issues. Anyway, i got this one home before i realized this one had been dropped and hit so hard that weight of the yoke knocked the back of the tube straight off. I decided to salvage the chassis and other items figuring i might come across another one eventually. Is it worth hanging on to?
Old 05-26-2014, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

If its the wide screen ( 30 or 34" IIRC ) save at least the PS / HV
board. Better pix than anything new IMHO & the IC's went
left & right. Otherwise a modern chassis isnt big & you just cant
buy most the parts anymore, even when they were a few yrs old
a lot of stuff came back "NLA". Its also nice to slide a working
chassis in instead of fighting the old one.

73 Zeno
Old 05-26-2014, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its a 32" with the 4:3 ratio. i have everything but the tube. Model was KV-32HS420.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

He is right. While a lot of these sets can be fixed with those 2 chips, SOME develop OTHER problems on that deflection board that are often VERY hard to pin down!! IIRC, there was one or 2 problems that would occur and it would kill a LOT of small parts all OVER that board-including some SMD devices below the board. Flybacks also sometimes fail--and not always alone. I have also seen a few diodes short in the power supply. I do recall working on a few of these board and NOT being able to fix them....just WAY too many problems !! If you have a good DA4 or so deflection board---either keep it or SELL it as such--do NOT toss it !!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, i'll keep it around. I've had more than one of these come through in the past so no doubt i'll run into another one.
Audiokarma
Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got the 2004 34" wega full HD widescreen set up in my mom's place as her main TV. People have commented on the pix quality. It was going to be tossed fulling working, replaced with a VIZIO LCD set (yuck). Heavy as anything, but a quality picture.I had to go into the service menu and adjust the vertical size since the extreme edges were overscanning a bit on some content. Other than that it has been a great performer. I don't recall where it was built, but I recall being surprised that it was not made in Japan.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
I've got the 2004 34" wega full HD widescreen set up in my mom's place as her main TV. People have commented on the pix quality. It was going to be tossed fulling working, replaced with a VIZIO LCD set (yuck). Heavy as anything, but a quality picture.I had to go into the service menu and adjust the vertical size since the extreme edges were overscanning a bit on some content. Other than that it has been a great performer. I don't recall where it was built, but I recall being surprised that it was not made in Japan.
Yeam my sister-in-law had one a few years ago the we picked up on the side of the road. Never cared for widescreen sets. Don't recall the beinf capable of more than 1080i though.