Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

HOW did people AFFORD our treasures--when they were new?

I recently got that SS flat-chassis Zenith set, as you all know. Well, the seller ALSO sent me a brochure he had for the set. In it is my set and a price it cost in 1973, maybe late 1972 $630.00 Today--that is OVER 3K!! That money today will get one a 70" 4K flat panel--that will NOT last ANYWHERE near as long as the 25DC56 sets.

I know things were made to last much longer in the old days--BUT just HOW did people afford them? I have 2 big screens myself--but they cost me NOTHING--both were trash finds I fixed. Otherwise--I could NOT afford much of any tv set.

How did people afford these sets then--unless people were MUCH better off then--than now? Was the economy in the 60's to mid-70's THAT much better than now??
Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

A lot of them were financed; from one of the TV shops I cleaned out I found a stack of papers from a local bank listing the names of customers who had financed their new Admiral TV's.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Easy... they didn't have a computer, or a cell phone, or a DVD player, or a VCR... the TV was the most high tech item in a house, and people could afford it because they weren't splitting their money in so many directions like now. Think computers in the 90s, how many of us paid $2000 for a Pentium based system.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

There were more and better jobs too before the chinese and the koreans took almost all of our manufacturing from us.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I only paid $300 for this dual-core computer 4 years ago. True...it was a rebuilt unit--but still--it is not a bad computer.
Audiokarma
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not everybody had nice stuff like this. upper middle class professional or skilled labor. Agree with other comment, money was not split up everywhere (100$ plus per month cable bill as an example). Middle class folks had lower end stuff.
Also you only had ONE tv like this and maybe a cheap BW. And of course you kept it a long time. A McD's job was for kids after school and you would not have this tv on that kind of an entry level job. There was a time when you were expected to work up to nice stuff. And as mentioned there was the option to finance, which was not a bad thing since the set would actually last longer than the financing. The mind set was to pay a premium for a quality product. That mind set is fast becoming rare. When I got my 1st job (entry level accountant) I had a hand me down 19" BW that needed to be tuned with a pair of vice grips on the tuning shaft (and make sure you are not grounded when doing that). That was my main set for years. Frankly I think folks expect too much too soon.

oh I hope not to offend A) folks that work at McD's just saying it was a low wage income that would not support a nice set (and yes I did work fast food back in the day so I know of what I am speaking).

B) the use of upper and middle class is not to define the type of person but an income level as commonly used.

I recall as a kid only one or two families had a color tv on the block and this was in the late 60's, NOBODY had a color TV that I can remember in the early 60's, by the time the early 70's came around it was prob 50/50 and I am talking about adults with families, so it was the main entertainment for several people. So it really was something of a luxury item. I am trying to think of a comparable contemporary item, but not having much luck.

Last edited by DaveWM; 06-11-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:49 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
How did people afford these sets then--unless people were MUCH better off then--than now? Was the economy in the 60's to mid-70's THAT much better than now??
To some degree, YES. Without trying to get into politics here, most "average" jobs paid a whole lot more then, relative to the general cost of living, than they do now. I mean, things like car repair, store clerk, or, umm, TV repair .

But, a nice TV set was the "big family purchase for the year", or even after waiting two or three years, too.

Two other things made life then quite different from typical situations now: Housing cost a lot less then, again relative to the general cost of living, in most places, than it does now. And, people relatively rarely went to restaurants for dinner (much less any equivalent of Starbucks). Two years of NOT having $40-60 meals twice a month or more will pay for a really nice piece of furniture, today, and the same equivalent was true then.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I will speak for the 1970-1980 era before the price slide
began.
Abt 25% of our sales over $300 were financed through AVCO
or a credit union. Most didnt buy the flat chassis or remote,
usually the cheaper tube models. There was one color TV in
the living room, the old B&W in the den & maybe a 12" to
lug around the house. About half our sales were Nov-Dec &
were the family xmas present. A new TV was NOT taken lightly
even by the rich, it was a long thought out process.
Money used to go a long way also. A TV man could buy a
house $30K new Impala $5K BCBS family plan $60/mo.
All that & the wife didnt have to work. Things were made to
last & be repaired also. My sister asked me what kind of
washer to get abt 10 yrs ago. I told her a 20 year old Maytag.
She didnt & shes been through 2 washers, my early 80's
Maytag needed a $20 water valve in the same time.

Twas a different world that under 50's folks dont know.
IMHO we have advanced technically but slid back in almost all
other respects. As a functioning society we are standing in deep dog doot.

73 Zeno
Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

zeno funny you should mention the washer...

My high priced front load whirlpool duet looks nice but does not clean, leaks and has mold.

I went the the local appliance dealer (real dealer not box store) and he suggested getting a "speed queen" top loader, mechanical timer and no computer, sounds good to me.
Audiokarma
Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm in my 50s.

The first new color TV did not make it into my family's house until the mid 1980s. My dad was working class. The first brand new TV he bought was in the early 70s. A 12" black and white. We kept that for many years till it died. Then the next set was a new 19" black and white. We got color because I treated my folks to a set.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm 37 and was adopted by my Grandparents. From what I'm told, they didn't get their first 19" color TV until circa 1969. Before that, they had a 19" Sears B&W in a black metal cabinet. When the color TV was bought, the B&W was wrapped in plastic and stored in the basement. Around '84, Dad pulled it out of storage and plugged it in. It didn't work too well and I begged him to let me tear it up; but, he gave it to our TV man (who I'm sure pitched it in the trash).

The first color TV lasted until around '77-'78, when it died and was replaced with a 19" RCA colortrak with a varactor tuner. Around '83, the CRT died in that set and our TV man replaced it. About a year later, Dad bought a slightly used 19" Magnavox color remote set for $150 from our TV man and that set lasted until the mid '90's. The RCA went in their bedroom for a few years.

As far as other TV's in the house, there was a 9" GE B&W in my room with no cable. The only reason we had that TV was because it was included in the purchase of a camper that Dad bought in the early '70's. He also had a 14" Truetone tube color TV from the early '70's that he bought used for $75 from a family friend because she needed the money. That set was swapped between the camper and their bedroom, until the RCA mentioned above went to the bedroom and the tube TV stayed in the camper. The camper TV was retired around '87, when no TV shop would fix it because it was a tube set and replaced with a 13" Emerson knob tuner that cost $149.99.

Dad worked for the railroad and Mother, for the most part, stayed at home. My parents were not filthy rich; but, they did OK. The house that they bought in '63 cost, IIRC, $16K and it was a brand new house. The house notes were around $90/month, as opposed to hundreds of dollars today. Also, groceries were cheaper back then. I remember going to the store with Dad during the '80's and $100 would feed all 3 of us for the month. Now, $100 is doing good to buy groceries for a week. They had cable TV; but, the bill wasn't 3 figures. I remember a time when the cable was around $20/month.

I agree that people expect too much too quick in today's world. People from my parent's generation often worked for 15-20 years to save enough money to get a house. I find that people from my generation expect everything on a silver platter right out of the box and I blame that on how their parents raised them by giving them everything they wanted and not teaching them that you have to earn what you get.

Something else that I've picked up on is that when older people bought something like a TV or big console stereo, they took great pride in their purchase. I've even found pictures of people standing next to their new purchase. Today, people just swipe the plastic and take what they get for granted. When it becomes outdated in a few years, they junk it and go swipe the plastic again.

In today's world, it often takes both parents working in order to keep everyone's head above water; however, if you look deeper, some things could be cut out and save a bunch of money. For example, the 3 under 13 year olds don't need their own smartphone, cut the $150 cable service down to either free OTA or the basic $20 cable package, etc. Of course, that's not likely to happen because most people today think they are entitled to these things.

A while back, I was talking to a friend who was telling me that her sister is constantly complaining about not having enough money to make ends meet. She said that it was hard to feel sorry for her because they could do a lot better if they'd take back that expensive swimming pool that they just bought, cancel that $200/month cable/internet, and sell off those iphones that they got for the kids and cancel the service.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:02 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Growing up in the 80's in a nice middle class neighborhood, most of my neighbors had a 19-25" color TV in the living room plus a portable that may be color or B/W. None of my friends had a color TV in their room (even a B/W TV was unusual).
I grew up in the late '60s-'70s. Most of the TVs I had until the mid-'70s were trash finds or second-hand sets from relatives. My first set was a 1950s Capehart console; the next one, if I remember correctly, was a 1955 Emerson metal-cased b&w portable, the second color set I owned (after my Silvertone CTC15 clone) was a Silvertone (Toshiba made) 16", and so on. The first TV I bought new was a "Kenco" (house brand of the now-defunct Kennedy and Cohen retail chain) 12" b&w tube-type portable, in 1975. The first new color TV I owned was a Zenith L-1310C in 1979, followed three years later by a Zenith color portable with the then-new electronic varactor tuning system. I needed a new color TV at that time like I needed a hole in the head, but for some crazy reason I wanted a TV with electronic tuning, even though the first Zenith color set was working perfectly well.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a tv in my bedroom at 12 years old !!....a 13" BW set.

Of course...it was one given to me, considered junk...but I managed to fix it--and then use it for a while. (A Zenith 12CB12 set. ) it was a REAL treat to me to have my own tv. NO cable--didn't even know what that was in 1980...
Old 06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

My parents bought their first color tv in 1975, it was a leftover 1974 top of
the line CCII model, The Montmarter (Spelling?), The list price was $895.00.
Because it was left over, it was marked down to $749.00. My dad made a down payment and paid some amount every two weeks until it was paid for.
The interesting thing is, he made the deal with the store owner and no paper
work about the payments was ever created, no time frame, no interest, no signature on anything, he
just made the payment in person every two weeks. They had the set until 1989 with only one repair, a tuner rebuild in 1985. In 1989 some capacitors
were failing and it was traded on a new Zenith console that didn't even come
close to picture quality of the old one.

There were only a couple of color sets in my neighborhood in the 60's, and
there were a few kids in school whose families had them, mostly early 60's RCA's or Zeniths. One well to do school chum's parents had a 1956 RCA color
set and they were still using it in the mid 80's, his mother thought the picture was better than modern sets she had seen. They might still have it
somewhere for all I know.
Audiokarma