Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Happy Rescan Day!

Was the channel relocations on OTA HD channels, just in certain areas or throughout the entire country.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is only the beginning... from the FCC site:

“Some local TV stations in cities across the U.S. will be changing their over-the-air broadcast frequencies between now and July 2020.”

https://www.fcc.gov/TVrescan

jr
Old 10-18-2019, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Southeast Mass. here , one my my local OTA stations has been mentioning rescanning lately , but I can't recall which one it was . It could be a RI. station since I live close enough to RI. to receive their stations ...
Old 10-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

In DFW we had to rescan several channels back in May. Most went smoothly. One channel would not store with its new frequency until I did a soft reboot of my DTVPal DVR.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Denver area rescan in May was only a couple of channels that were effected.
Sony KV-1220U
Audiokarma
Old 10-18-2019, 08:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, I guess this is the Beginning of the End... Our Cable system-Chortle/Spectrum, you can use any TV you have, but they keep making noises that only "New" TVs made after NTSC was shit-canned will be supported after such & such a date...But they never have SAID when that "Date" is...
Old 10-19-2019, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Apparently, there have been some complaints about reduced coverage from UHF channels that have been “repacked” to the VHF band. It seems that the permissible power levels should be adjusted upward for digital VHF channels.

jr
Old 10-19-2019, 09:12 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Apparently, there have been some complaints about reduced coverage from UHF channels that have been “repacked” to the VHF band. It seems that the permissible power levels should be adjusted upward for digital VHF channels.

jr

This happened with three TV stations in Cleveland -- channels 8 (FOX), 19 (CBS) and 43. I don't know where channel 8 wound up (it is probably still on RF channel 8), but the ERP transmit power of channel 19 was reduced from 3.720 megawatts to 9.5 kW. This reduces the station's coverage area almost exactly to half of its former size, with little or no reception of the station east of Cleveland in many areas unless an outdoor antenna is used. I live on the first floor of an apartment building in extreme northeastern Ohio, near Lake Erie, and cannot receive channel 19 using an indoor antenna (this is why I have cable).

One of the only parts of my area which does supposedly get channel 19's DTV signal is the region west of the Cleveland suburb of Euclid. The reception here in east-central Lake County of many local stations with an indoor (or in some cases even an outdoor) antenna, however, is either so bad as to be unusable or else the signals do not reach here at all. I often wonder why the media group which now owns channel 19 (the station was recently sold from Raycom) does not do one of two things: either put up a translator for the east lakeshore area (they already have one for the Akron area, sixty miles from here), or else move the station to a UHF DTV channel. They must know that they are losing fully half of their OTA coverage area by staying on VHF DTV channel 10. I wonder if the station's current owners (Gray Media) are just willing to accept this yawning gap in the station's coverage area or if the company has some other reason for ignoring the problem. The other TV stations in northeastern Ohio (3, 5, 25, 55, 61) switched to UHF DTV channels shortly after the transition, and are received very well in most areas, including where I live.

As I said, I wonder why channel 19, under its new ownership, is still stubbornly staying on VHF channel 10 when they know full well they have now lost at least half of their former OTA coverage area. I don't know anything about Gray Media, but I am sure they are a media group which is interested in seeing its TV stations operating at their fullest capabilities. I would think that was one reason they bought the station from Raycom when they did.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 10-19-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
This happened with three TV stations in Cleveland -- channels 8 (FOX), 19 (CBS) and 43. I don't know where channel 8 wound up (it is probably still on RF channel 8), but the ERP transmit power of channel 19 was reduced from 3.720 megawatts to 9.5 kW. This reduces the station's coverage area almost exactly to half of its former size, with little or no reception of the station east of Cleveland in many areas unless an outdoor antenna is used. I live on the first floor of an apartment building in extreme northeastern Ohio, near Lake Erie, and cannot receive channel 19 using an indoor antenna (this is why I have cable).

One of the only parts of my area which does supposedly get channel 19's DTV signal is the region west of the Cleveland suburb of Euclid. The reception here in east-central Lake County of many local stations with an indoor (or in some cases even an outdoor) antenna, however, is either so bad as to be unusable or else the signals do not reach here at all. I often wonder why the media group which now owns channel 19 (the station was recently sold from Raycom) does not do one of two things: either put up a translator for the east lakeshore area (they already have one for the Akron area, sixty miles from here), or else move the station to a UHF DTV channel. They must know that they are losing fully half of their OTA coverage area by staying on VHF DTV channel 10. I wonder if the station's current owners (Gray Media) are just willing to accept this yawning gap in the station's coverage area or if the company has some other reason for ignoring the problem. The other TV stations in northeastern Ohio (3, 5, 25, 55, 61) switched to UHF DTV channels shortly after the transition, and are received very well in most areas, including where I live.

As I said, I wonder why channel 19, under its new ownership, is still stubbornly staying on VHF channel 10 when they know full well they have now lost at least half of their former OTA coverage area. I don't know anything about Gray Media, but I am sure they are a media group which is interested in seeing its TV stations operating at their fullest capabilities. I would think that was one reason they bought the station from Raycom when they did.
I hear what you're saying, where I live in Northcentral Indiana all of our stations are on UHF only (they were alway on UHF even in the Analog Days) but unfortunately the stations being on UHF isn't a great asset for any of the stations in my area because just using an amplified indoor UHF/VHF Antenna with a fine tuning knob isn't enough to pick up any of the stations in my area except 16 (NBC) and 46 (local independent station), and it doesn't help that my TV is in the basement of my house.

The rest of the stations 22 (CBS which is also owned by Gray like your Channel 19 is), 25 (CW Network formerly WB Netowrk), 28(Formerly the Fox Affiliate in our area before they were bought out but now it is the Heros and Icons Network, and several other networks as well including CourtTV), 34 (PBS), 57 (ABC) and 69 (MyTV Affiliate and also Telemundo), are hit and miss as far as reception goes even with a good quality Amplified Indoor HD Antenna, of which I have 4 of them and all 4 of them give me the same results.

So I'm in the same situation as you, and strange thing is that with my TV I use I find that everytime I change my antenna, I have to rescan my TV because the TV doesn't receive signals the same way with different antennas installed.