Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Okay, since no one else is going to say or do anything about this, and that I don't care about being popular, I'm going to speak up.

Just about everyone here knows that discussions about anyone's faith is forbidden here, so it's only fair that I ask that those without any to refrain from mentioning it so casually and/or making it sound like a real hay ride. I may be the only one here who feels this way but nevertheless I think my wishes should be respected. If that's out of the question then I'll just walk away, no big deal. I know my input here is considered to be of little to no value anyway.
You're *half* right.....but you're taking it over the edge.

There's nowhere in the rule books that says you can't state the category of your beliefs. It's when you espouse them onto others is where things go wrong. I'm a Christian (oops) and have no problem or argument with someone who has no set faith or believes what they want to believe.

When we try to change people's views in that regard, especially in a vintage television forum, is where things get stupid.

Hakuna matata

PS- "I know my input here is considered to be of little to no value anyway" must be how you judge yourself, because that's not how we judge you or see you. Not sure whether that was intended to give your argument credulity.....but it doesn't compute.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post

There's nowhere in the rule books that says you can't state the category of your beliefs. It's when you espouse them onto others is where things go wrong. I'm a Christian (oops) and have no problem or argument with someone who has no set faith or believes what they want to believe.

When we try to change people's views in that regard, especially in a vintage television forum, is where things get stupid.

Hakuna matata

PS- "I know my input here is considered to be of little to no value anyway" must be how you judge yourself, because that's not how we judge you or see you. Not sure whether that was intended to give your argument credulity.....but it doesn't compute.
Well then , at the risk of getting two threads closed in two days , here goes ;

I have always believed in a higher spirit that holds all living things together and also heavily believe in Karma , as in "live by the sword , die by the sword". I do not believe in any of the organized religion's self appointed divinity , for instance to me the Catholic Pope is no more divine than any other man , the higher spirit having created ALL humans with equal abilities of divinity or debauchery , depending on the character of the soul involved .

And Jon , Your posts here are fine with me , having folks around with my kind of "peek behind the curtain" ethos makes for interesting conversation . I may not always respond to your posts , but there are many times I'm in complete agreement with you .

Last edited by init4fun; 12-06-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Well then , at the risk of getting two threads closed in two days , here goes ;

I have always believed in a higher spirit that holds all living things together and also heavily believe in Karma , as in "live by the sword , die by the sword". I do not believe in any of the organized religion's self appointed divinity , for instance to me the Catholic Pope is no more divine than any other man , the higher spirit having created ALL humans with equal abilities of divinity or debauchery , depending on the character of the soul involved .

And Jon , Your posts here are fine with me , having folks around with my kind of "peek behind the curtain" ethos makes for interesting conversation . I may not always respond to your posts , but there are many times I'm in complete agreement with you .
Things only get closed when they either get stupid, potentially stupid, or when they get derailed and go downhill fast. I've been doing this job on many boards for almost 17 years, so I've developed a feel for these things.

We're not there yet, but......
Old 12-06-2018, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you Captain , I appreciate how fair you are in such matters . Politics , religion , and even the origin of insults can indeed go downhill fast and the last thing I'd want to see is someone offended by the off topic chat .

God bless Vacuum Tubes
Old 12-06-2018, 08:06 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Back to the problem with collecting TVs - I find that the TVs tend to collect stuff themselves:

Audiokarma
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
That screenshot looks superb in a fairly bright lit room. I used to “DX” channel 5 from Milwaukee in the late 60’s, but WGN channel 9 was the clearest. I watched “Kup’s Show on Saturday night.

You stuff is neat. Collecting micros, no problem. The consoles are another thing.

Last edited by etype2; 12-06-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Not a completely untouched photo of the CTC-5. Canon 50d and kit lens. The room was not that bright except for the wall behind, and I carefully arranged the lights not to hit the faceplate or the carpet that reflects in the glass. The CRT image was a bit overexposed and too blue, so I burned it in Lightroom. Also removed (in Photoshop) a white stripe on the left that the file player produced at this zoom setting.

Camera club subject of the month for January is "Antique," so I will title this "Antique Peacock."

The Zenith shot is straight out of my phone, just cropped left and right. The Zenith logo dish is not legit Zenith, but a one-of-a-kind made by a retired colleague from the standards committees.

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 12-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 AM
<----Zenith C845

Where did you find that screen image? NBC does not use the full-size peacock any longer, having retired it in 1975; however, they still use a much smaller peacock (with the NBC chimes) these days, which it shows just before its color programs in prime time. The small peacock, often in bland, drab black and white (!), is also shown after the network's promotions for the next show and before it goes to the local stations.

The NBC "snake" was also retired in 1975. I have many very fond memories of NBC's original peacock which was shown just before color programs on the network, with an announcer saying "The following program is brought to you in living color on NBC."

The NBC television station in Cleveland was owned by NBC from 1948 to 1955 and again from 1965 to 1990. (The station is now owned by Tegna, which has succeeded in running it into the ground, but that's another story.) I mention this because NBC also had regional announcements for local color programs, based on the network's own announcement. There were different versions for each city in which NBC owned a station. In Cleveland, the announcement was "The following program is brought to you in living color (over) WKYC-TV."

BTW, where did Chicago's NBC television station ever get the idea it is "the world's first full color TV station"? I'm sure other TV stations were broadcasting in color long before 1966, the year NBC-TV became the first so-called "full color" television network in the US. Also, I would think New York's WNBC-TV, being NBC's first TV station, should have been the station to take this honor. I don't think Chicago's NBC affiliate signed on the air until some time in the late 1940s-early 1950s, as there were very few, if any, commercial TV stations in the United States before 1947. Cleveland, for example, did not get its first television station until 1947; it was on channel 5 and was originally affiliated with CBS (it is now an ABC affiliate). In '48, channel 3 signed on as an NBC affiliate, and the following year, channel 8 signed on. (The grade-ZZZ UHF stations in Cleveland did not arrive until the mid-'60s through the mid-'80s, with one such station, channel 19, taking the CBS affiliation from channel 8 in the early nineties; from 1986 until about 1994 or so, 19 was an affiliate of that poor excuse for a TV network called FOX.) I believe channel 8 was an independent station at the time (1949), as the ABC television network did not exist until the late '50s or even early sixties.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-07-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post

Hakuna matata

Okay, glad that's been clarified. I'm certainly not one to split hairs; after all it's well known what trying to live by exact words did to Greg Brady. Some things, like the temporal prime directive, are much less of a headache if one just ignores them.

I suppose the main problem I have with collecting TVs is deciding what to do with those I don't watch which right now is all but one. If I had different rooms to put them in and extra DVD players I would do just that. The Hitachi MTS stereo TV/monitor I picked up yesterday would also do well if paired with a vintage computer. CRT PC monitors on the other hand I just can't be satisfied with anymore, I like having the extra clarity of a LCD panel when viewing small items/print at close range.

Thinking outside the cube, that's how I roll.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:45 AM
M is for Memory

If you get a BT agile modulator your DVD player can be shared by all your TVs...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 12-07-2018, 12:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Okay, glad that's been clarified. I'm certainly not one to split hairs; after all it's well known what trying to live by exact words did to Greg Brady. Some things, like the temporal prime directive, are much less of a headache if one just ignores them.

I suppose the main problem I have with collecting TVs is deciding what to do with those I don't watch which right now is all but one. If I had different rooms to put them in and extra DVD players I would do just that. The Hitachi MTS stereo TV/monitor I picked up yesterday would also do well if paired with a vintage computer. CRT PC monitors on the other hand I just can't be satisfied with anymore, I like having the extra clarity of a LCD panel when viewing small items/print at close range.

Thinking outside the cube, that's how I roll.
I don't remember what happened to Greg Brady and BTW, who's Esther and is her sister named Polly.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you get a BT agile modulator your DVD player can be shared by all your TVs...
I still have to be hard-wired! I can't watch a picture that isn't almost perfect!
Old 12-07-2018, 12:46 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I still have to be hard-wired! I can't watch a picture that isn't almost perfect!
The BT can.look almost perfect... as long as signal strength is good and you can stand any resolution exceeding NTSC specs not making it to the set... If the set don't have a video input a BT is probably the second best thing to an actual analog NTSC tv station.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

WMAQ, First full color station:

http://www.richsamuels.com/nbcmm/1968/fadeup2.html

jr

also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMAQ-TV

Last edited by jr_tech; 12-07-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: add second link
Old 12-07-2018, 01:10 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
How could you stand TV before digital? By today's standards, NTSC analog signals looked terrible compared to DTV. Unless you were in a very strong signal area, the pictures you would receive from local TV stations were far, far from perfect; this was especially true if you were in a fringe area. I remember two situations in which my TV reception was so bad as to be practically unusable: the first was in 1965, when the PBS (then NET) television station in Cleveland signed on the air with a measly 1-megawatt ERP signal, which barely reached the area I was living in at the time (an eastern Cleveland suburb in which TV reception with indoor antennas was not that great); the situation would not change for the better until years later, when the station put in a stronger transmitter, the concern that owned the station put in translators (neither of which I could get at my home at the time), and when my area finally got cable in the early 1980s. The second instance was twenty years later, when a new UHF station signed on in suburban Cleveland on channel 19. The station had a 3-megawatt-plus ERP analog signal at the time, but lightning hit their tower after being on the air just six months. The station was never the same after that, although in many ways, since DTV, the reception is worse, especially in far-suburban and fringe areas, since the station now has a 9.5-kW ERP DTV signal on channel 10. The station's owners stubbornly refuse to put its signal on a UHF channel or to put up a translator for the east lakeshore area (which would improve the coverage area 100 percent or more), but that's another story.

DTV is much better; however, the drawback is you must have a very strong signal, or else you don't get a picture at all. I don't know what your definition of an "almost perfect" DTV picture is, but in digital TV there is no such thing; again, with DTV, the picture either is there or it is not. I am purposely ignoring the case of DTV signals that appear pixelated or otherwise unwatchable (I get this every so often with my own setup, which receives video streams over the Internet, not RF signals; I gave up on OTA DTV over a year ago, since I live in an area that does not get two important Cleveland TV stations without cable, satellite or streaming video, although the other stations come in just fine, using just an indoor antenna).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-07-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Audiokarma