Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

well this is why im kicking myself because a few miles from where i live this man sells furniture in front of his house and one day this tv was on the side like it was either being picked up or out for trash but i could not stop at the time as it was summer and lots of traffic and had my 3 year old in the car. the next day it was gone this was 2 summers ago but i stopped the other day and asked but it was long gone.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

well i finally got the sears silvertone color roundy model number its 4190 and i believe its from 1963 if anyone ever sees this set in new york please let me know.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

silvertone roundie

hey all this is the silvertone 1963 color roundie that ampico kid found and told me about if it were not for ampico kid i might have missed this one infact i would have missed it. and many thanks to ampico kid for all the help he provided me with this set as well as other members here at videokarma.i still have some issues with verticle hold locking in, keeps rolling, after warm up its good other then macrovision lines that seem to trigger the vert roll and the color just seems to fade away or the colors go to places that it shouldnt. but ill get to the bottom of these issues, hopefully. i do have a pic of this set befor i restored it, its dirty and had 3 broken legs but everything was with this set including the 2 clips on the back bottom and only missing 4 of the original screws for the back.

Last edited by timmy; 04-24-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

That is a very cool looking and I bet very rare set to find. I guess it has an RCA CTC-15. Now I will read posts and prolly find someone already wrote that I am -ss backwards sometimes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

yes ctc15 chassis and i would say rare being where it was in pa buried in someones garage then put outside under a tarp because they got tired of moving around it in the garage,it just got in the way.now it sits proud in my living room.
Audiokarma
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 PM
<----Zenith C845

I had a set almost like that one in the early '70s, only mine was in a black metal table model cabinet with threaded holes in the base for legs (which I did not have, as this set was from someone in my hometown who had had it in his garage for years) and was VHF only. I'm guessing mine had the CTC12 chassis. I never got it to work very well, as it had convergence issues (I didn't have a generator at the time) and eventually developed color sync issues as well as a hum bar going up through the picture. I tried to replace the 6AW8 video output tube, but the socket broke out of the board, leaving me with a set that produced only a green raster (!) and sound. Needless to say, from that point on the set was junk. I moved 2 years later and just left the thing behind; the rest, as the expression goes, is history.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

should have held on to the chassis and crt if it were good.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 PM
M is for Memory

I have a similar model, it ran great after I fixed it, but just last saturday the vertical colapsed:shock:

I still need to locate new tuning and volume knobs for it.

Tom C.

PS. macrovision never affected the synch on mine, and be careful not to let the H osc get too far off frequency because mine eats dampers when the frequency is too far off (I hever expected the damper to short, and this led to months of confusion and chasing my tail untll I noticed intermitant arcing in another sets damper and the only spare at hand was the blown one in my Silvertone).
Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set Tom C.!
I find those leader models very interesting and cool in design. It is neat to see the lower priced versions as it seems they are the most rare now.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

how do you know if the horiz frequency is off, what is the tell tale signs.
Audiokarma
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think the proper way is to follow procedure to adjust related horiz coils with milliammeters. On my CTC-15 I did not have milliammeters so I followed procedure with volt meter and a cross hatch generator to make final adjustment to have correct horiz linearity. I could not get the right side as wide as the left side so I suspected a weak horiz output tube as I don't have a tester yet. I have a NOS tube now so, when I get other issue solved I will try to do it again and post pics.
I am sure you can find all the facts in threads and posts here as this is a very important issue to avoid burning your flyback out.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I have a similar model, it ran great after I fixed it, but just last saturday the vertical colapsed:shock:

I still need to locate new tuning and volume knobs for it.

Tom C.

PS. macrovision never affected the synch on mine, and be careful not to let the H osc get too far off frequency because mine eats dampers when the frequency is too far off (I hever expected the damper to short, and this led to months of confusion and chasing my tail untll I noticed intermitant arcing in another sets damper and the only spare at hand was the blown one in my Silvertone).
Hey Tom, Do you live near Milwaukee? That looks like the set that was at the ETF last year, or was it the year before?.......Either way, if it is I know you because I checked the CRT in the ETF set.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

well i guess mine is ok as the flyback runs just warm at 24kv. i just thought there were other things that point to horiz ocillator not being right. the flyback in this silvertone was changed already with a thordarson fly 123 and after getting the set i could not get any more then 14kv and after checking this chassis i find that someone did a milliamp check did the jump to test and set it but never took the jumper off.after removing the jumper the kv went up to 24kv and that cured that.

Last edited by timmy; 05-27-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 PM
M is for Memory

Yeah I bought that set at the 2010 ETF meet. Thanks for checking the CRT. I wish I could remember who you are, but I have a lousy memory for names and faces (and every part of my memory has gotten worse from all the info I've shoe horned in from college this year(some days I'm amazed that I can remember my own name, and feel like that guy Grimmer from the anime Monster)). If you are that fellow that resurected the CRT in my Zenith porthole at this years ETF (I believe his name was mark) then I know who you are and you have my thanks (It actually runs with the caps that were in it, though there are two or three maroon drops from a previous owners repair).

I live in Pewaukee on the lake of the same name to be precise.

I have a philco split chassis console that has had it's papers replaced and works that is yours for the takeing.

Tom C.

Last edited by Electronic M; 05-27-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: to fix typeos
Old 05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Mark

Lookin' good!! That CRT WAS toastThe Sencore CR70 deserves the thanks! And yes my name is chica chica slim shady.....I mean Mark
I had fun resurrecting your tube, I hope to see you again next year.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma