Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

An EXCELLENT book from 1958 on the foibles of cars then is "The Insolent Chariots" by a fellow named John Keats. He pretty much skewers the automobile industry. And while MUCH has changed, there is a LOT that sadly hasn't changed. Remember, in antebellum 1958, Detroit OWNED the American car market, imports were almost not really worth mentioning, except for the Volkswagen, which was looked on as a sick joke by a lot of insular Detroit. They never really understood the VW, their attempts to "Answer" the VW-Falcon, Valiant & Corvair-attest to this, altho the Corvair came reasonably close.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

The 1960 model cars took rustproofing to a whole new level- with the new unibody construction for all divisions except Imperial, they HAD to be rust proof. I don't know of many severely rusted 1960 cars.

Yes, by the mid 60s, the big finned wonders (not just Chrysler's offerings) were noticeably outlandish looking compared to the clean lines of the new cars coming out. By the 70s the majority of people hated finned cars.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'm a BIT prejudiced, but just look at the difference between a '59 Caddy & a '61 Lincoln.. The Cad is a Merry-Go-Round, the Lincoln is coolly sophisticated..I can only imagine the reaction when it came out in late 1960... Cad was backing away from the "Theater of the Absurd" design as quickly as they could. Chrysler hired Elwood Engel, the main ramrod behind the '61 Connie, away from Ford, & his ideas produced the 1964 Imperial, which did away w/Mopars' fins once & for all..
Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

I should've noticed the Lincoln avatar.

Myself, I'm a bit prejudiced as well. Exner had a heart attack in 59-60, so the design team was pretty much on autopilot. Not many people liked the 61 cars, and the 62 models were downsized after a rumor that GM was downsizing their cars.

The rumor was not true, and sales suffered, no room for small cars in a big car market...

At least he had some insight for the 63 cars, the last ones he took part in.