Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Possible Motorola catalin radio

Today, I went to an estate sale of a dear lady who recently passed away. She meant a lot to me and I went to her sale to pick up a few things, for sentimental reasons.

I picked up a mid '60's Silvertone clock radio, an early '50's Silvertone AM/SW radio, and old Kenmore 1/4 HP motor, a 1940's Emerson fan, and a cardboard recordio disc that contains the voice of the lady who passed away (was recorded in 1941). This pile cost me $85; which, might have been a little much. However, I wanted the stuff because of who it belonged to.

As I was getting ready to leave, someone said, "there's another radio on that table." I picked it up and they said, "man, that thing looks horrible - it does not even have a cord." It wasn't even priced; so, I chased down the guy running the sale and he said, "ten bucks." So, that brought my total up to $95 for the pile.

I honestly thought it was just another bakelite radio; but, after cleaning off some of the crud, there may be more to it. The grille bars and the knobs look very much like catalin. I don't see any kind of swirling in the cabinet; but, when I hold it up to a light source, I can see a reddish brown color through the case. The case needs a good cleaning and polishing. As far as damage, there is a little nick at the right rear of the cabinet. At any rate, I'm sure $10 was a fair price.

BTW, the chassis was a major pain to get out and is being a major pain to put back together. So, it's staying apart until it's fixed.

So, is this a catalin radio or not?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep, it is Catalin. Motorola model 52.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice haul !