Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 AM
Administrator

5" BPC I got at thrift.

I picked up this little GPX Jellybean on Friday, I normally don't bother with these unless they are something colorful but this one had an issue I though might be fun to try and fix, also i have the same set in yellow so it'll make a nice pair.

It said right on the tag that the TV didn't work, i could see it had a line burned into the screen indicating it had a failed vertical circuit.

Sure enough, powered it up and the vertical is flatlined.

If I push on the Vert Hold control I can get it to sweep but it doesn't lock in, just rolls constantly. I suspect bad capacitor or possibly a bad IC, these usually have an IC that control a whole host of functions like oscillators, sound and i.f. functions. I'm hoping it's just a bad capacitor in the vertical or a bad solder connection.

As for the line in the screen i should have a spare CRT somewhere around here, if not these turn up all the time in the thrifts, often in a "parts set" condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpx1.jpg (19.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg gpxline.jpg (17.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

"...often in a "parts set" condition..."

Isn't that how so many of them were sold as new?

Last edited by W3XWT; 11-18-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spel Chek
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3XWT View Post
"...often in a "parts set" condition..."

Isn't that how so many of them were sold as new?
You'd almost swear that they were!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I bought 6 of 'em at a time onceas Christmas presents..Believe it or not, they ALL worked...That was almost 10 yrs ago, I doubt if they still do..They were for Bethany, her sister, brother, & step brothers. They were kinda mad at the time they were B/W, even tho a couple of the kids had never seen B/W TV before...Seems like the whole outlay was less than $75 for 6 kids, I was/am a Cheap Bastard...
Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Most of these seem to have been made in the late 90's early 00's and most of them i find work, of course that doesn't count the ones that died and got tossed in the trash long ago.

If you could go back in time and show one to David Sarnoff he'd probably drop dead on the spot.
Audiokarma
Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Sarnoff was a world-class Horse's Patoot in so many ways, but he DID have areasonably high standard on stuff RCA sold to the public.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I have like 30 of these.....and only one was actually not working to the point I just parted it out. They are too simple to be crap for what they cost. A few actually have really exceptional little pictures. The only problem some of these have is about half of them will have IF buzz to some degree. The design that looks like a "space helmet" (GPX or somesuch)...WOULD deffinately qualify as CRAP, but still make okay parts sets.

Any broken one....has been dropped or abused. If you are getting sweep by just pushing on the vertical hold pot....you know where to start. That pot is bad, or it got pushed on and the traces are broken under it.

It's not gonna be that big jungle chip. If it is....PARTS set, but I've NOT seen one with a bad jungle chip yet (almost all of them CD5151CP). A few smaller ones I have (Magnavox Shadow, Rhapsody,etc...with the 4.5" CRT)...all have the AN5151N. I've not seen ANY of these sets have a bad chip yet.

Just get out your GOOD eyes...bright lights and put your meter on the "diode checker/beep" setting and you are gonna find some problem on the board.

One of my "sub collections" is about 25 of these...almost all identical (different colors) and hardly any of them "dead" when I got them. Any that were, were quite EASY to figure out....so dunno what these guys find so satisfying about bashing these little sets. CHEAP...and they work, and some lucky ones can be dialed in to have REALLY good pictures and don't have that lousy IF buzz. My favorite ones even have A/V inputs and make pretty good workbench "test" sets for working on VCRs, old Atari computers and stuff.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Administrator

It's a bad Vert Pot, I removed it, took it apart and tightened the contacts and it worked, until I put it back in the case, then it quit again. I'll scrounge one from another set.

I had one bad Jungle Chip, the set had no reception, swapped the chip and bingo, it worked.

Had another with a bad Flyback, swapped it and it worked. Funny thing is the holes weren't exactly the same and I had to do a little fudging to get it to fit.
There seem to be very few that have exactly the same chassis, they are all different by this or that little thing.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Had one that had a bad flyback...but the parts set I had given up on had a perfectly good one. That donor set has fixed like six sets now with the three pots in back, flyback, CRT, yoke, antenna...and I'm always screwing around with mixing the cabinet and knob/switch colors.

These are actually reliable enough that I have bought a couple that were REAL sorry looking with the intention of using it as parts.....but will find even the sorriest looking ones to power up and be perfectly okay. One was so bad looking I threw the BUSTED up cabinet away....and "breadboarded" the set....on an actual breadboard. That set still runs PERFECT on my coffeetable all open like that. I just attack it with some canned air every month or so :-P

That set is one of the chassis with the A/V inputs.....so between it and a 5" Magnavox 5" color set on the coffeetable (also open and with A/V)....I have two nice "workbench" sets I can use for playing with any sound or video projects. Using that set even as we speak to play with a little Radio Shack "TV tennis game" (Pong) kit that I'm building just for fun (and will use as another A/V tool most likely).

Last edited by AiboPet; 11-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
< RCA CTC-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I picked up this little GPX Jellybean on Friday, I normally don't bother with these unless they are something colorful but this one had an issue I though might be fun to try and fix, also i have the same set in yellow so it'll make a nice pair.

It said right on the tag that the TV didn't work, i could see it had a line burned into the screen indicating it had a failed vertical circuit.

Sure enough, powered it up and the vertical is flatlined.

If I push on the Vert Hold control I can get it to sweep but it doesn't lock in, just rolls constantly. I suspect bad capacitor or possibly a bad IC, these usually have an IC that control a whole host of functions like oscillators, sound and i.f. functions. I'm hoping it's just a bad capacitor in the vertical or a bad solder connection.

As for the line in the screen i should have a spare CRT somewhere around here, if not these turn up all the time in the thrifts, often in a "parts set" condition.
I used to have a yellow one when i was 8 i loved that tv but sadly it stoped working and got thrown out i wish i would have kept it i think they also came in red,green,blue as well. The first tv i got when i was 6 was a 5in b&W made by jensen that one only lasted 2 month's i remember one day i was watching it and the screen started to get lines in it and then it made a Loud POP and went up in smoke and milted the air vents that made me afraid of being alone with tv's for 3 years thinking the same might happen anyway glad to see you found out what was wrong with it
Audiokarma