Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Power Issue with a Zenith SM1973 System 3 Space Command with Space Phone

Hi,

This set was our basement TV after i snagged it at the ETF a few years ago for $5. It was made in 1979, has the Ultrasonic Space Command 3500 remote, and all of the documentation, including the bill of sale dated 10/30/80 for $689.95 without the stand, manual and door hang tag.

I want to turn it on one day, and all it does is make this mototboating type sound out of the speaker, no picture or anything else.

Any ideas about this issue, or which module in the mess of modules and wires that could be the issue.

I have never worked on a Zenith before.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

First thing I'd do is look for bad solder connections on the 9-160 module.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, I will start there.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
First thing I'd do is look for bad solder connections on the 9-160 module.
Isn't that like a common issue with those? I'm surprised Zenith of all companies would have such bad soldering.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sure its a common problem. The 9-160 module used to be really easy to find for replacements, too.

I never had one come back after a good resolder job.

The big can capacitor is another common failure.
Audiokarma
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

If memory serves me right, look also for oxidized connectors on the 9-160 module. They can cause that also.
Solder problems... made in Mexico. At least the module is not ROHS and filled with that wonderful no lead solder....
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Learning as I go

What is space phone?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
What is space phone?
Space Phone was a feature of some high-end Zenith TVs of the '80s. It basically allowed the user to make and receive telephone calls through the TV and showed the dialed number on the CRT screen. I do not think or believe, however, it had caller ID -- the on-screen display only showed the telephone number (with area code) being dialed at the time, and to be honest, I don't believe any of the telephone companies themselves offered caller ID thirty years ago (the technology that makes caller ID possible probably didn't even exist at the time).

I never had a Space Phone-equipped television, but I read everything about Zenith TVs (the originals, not today's "Zenith"-branded flat screens) I can get my hands on, so I know a little about the Space Phone system -- but not nearly as much as VK member Doug, drh4683 in Chicago. Space Phone was available for only a year or two, and was discontinued by the end of the 1980s. It never returned and, of course, is not offered on today's "Zenith" branded flat panel TVs, the guts of which are made by LG.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-07-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Learning as I go

Hmm that's interesting sounds neat. I would think they would have it on some to todays tv that do everything…
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Space Phone was a feature of some high-end Zenith TVs of the '80s. It basically allowed the user to make and receive telephone calls through the TV and showed the dialed number on the CRT screen. I do not think or believe, however, it had caller ID -- the on-screen display only showed the telephone number (with area code) being dialed at the time, and to be honest, I don't believe any of the telephone companies themselves offered caller ID thirty years ago (the technology that makes caller ID possible probably didn't even exist at the time).

I never had a Space Phone-equipped television, but I read everything about Zenith TVs (the originals, not today's "Zenith"-branded flat screens) I can get my hands on, so I know a little about the Space Phone system -- but not nearly as much as VK member Doug, drh4683 in Chicago. Space Phone was available for only a year or two, and was discontinued by the end of the 1980s. It never returned and, of course, is not offered on today's "Zenith" branded flat panel TVs, the guts of which are made by LG.
My cable companies cable boxes do the reverse of this. If you have their phone service, it puts the caller ID on the TV screen, and can show you previous calls.
Audiokarma
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember playing with those Space Phone equipped sets when I worked for a Zenith dealer. IIRC the audio sounded like you were talking through a long cardboard tube. More gimmick than useful in my opinion
Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Learning as I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin View Post
I remember playing with those Space Phone equipped sets when I worked for a Zenith dealer. IIRC the audio sounded like you were talking through a long cardboard tube. More gimmick than useful in my opinion
Much how a newer cellphone sounds compared to a landline.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi all,

Well i resoldered every connection on the 9-160 main board, replaced some caps that looked iffy.

Still having the same issue.

I made a YouTube video to show that is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW4YgrvG2Vk

Matt
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
My cable companies cable boxes do the reverse of this. If you have their phone service, it puts the caller ID on the TV screen, and can show you previous calls.
So theoretically you could hook a Zenith Space Phone TV to the cable box and get caller ID and full speakerphone functionality...
Did Zenith ever make a TV with both Space Phone and Zoom?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Normally it'sthe 9-160 or 9-152 Did you check the horiz output transistor?
Audiokarma