Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Um.....ya. I just got a huge load of test equipment this past weekend, which means I'm not gonna be looking for any boat anchors until I free up a little space. IF I free up a little space!! :P

Four scopes (a Tek 455, B&K 1460 and a 1476, and a Sencore SC61), a Tenma 72-1005 universal test center, an RCA TV Isotap, a B&K 2050 RF generator, an Eico 955 capacitor tester, a Heathkit IG-5228 dot bar generator, an RCA Volt Ohmyst, an Arkay 012 VTVM (already recapped that), an 8TS30 parts set, dozens of wirewounds, hundreds of 1/2 and 1 watt resistors (already sorted and put away ) , and RCA models WR-70A, WR-99A, and WR-69A. Plus another damn TV analyst, bringing that count to four

Oh, and plus thousands of RCA and Zenith factory parts still in bags and boxes. Ed and I already went through all of those, it took us close to three hours. More than half of the stuff was post 1990.

And my Kutztown stuff isn't even here yet. Holy hell......

Uhh, no. You need all the boat anchors to keep the new test equipment busy (and fun to play with). Need room? blow out a wall (or two), declare war on your neighbor and take over his turf for your radio equipment.

Yeah. Works for me.

I'll go away now...

George
Old 05-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichsrundfu View Post
Uhh, no. You need all the boat anchors to keep the new test equipment busy (and fun to play with).
Before the ETF meet, all but 4 sets here worked, and those were in progress. Then I went and bought 13 more at ETF, and 2 since. Or 3. I figured *that* would keep my test gear busy.....

Know what's worse? I just got a call back on THOUSANDS of Sams. Like dirt cheap. Guy said the stacks are taller than he is.

Y'know, one of two things is going to happen. Either I'm gonna draw the line, or I'm going to totally erase the line and just start gobbling up this stuff like Pac Man and not care. The scary thing is that at the moment, either may happen
Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Administrator

And you know what? You guys suck. You made me go look. The Rochester Hamfest is a week from Saturday, and my wife will be out of town.

That there, to me, sounds like a golden opportunity
Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The Rochester Hamfest is a week from Saturday, and my wife will be out of town.
Danger! Will Robison, Danger!

jr
Old 05-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
I laughed out loud when I read that!

I suppose I could get rid of the comfy sofa in my TV room to make space for a nice boatanchor bench.

Oh friggity frack.....
Quote:
And you know what? You guys suck. You made me go look. The Rochester Hamfest is a week from Saturday, and my wife will be out of town.

Resistance is futile.............. (though capacitance has potential)

You don't have to start at the top. A Hallicrafters S-40B or Hammarlund HQ-129X should make for a relatively inexpensive start to the collection. As space and funds permit, you can move up to the higher-end sets (Hallicrafters SX-28, Hammarlund SP-600, Collins R-390A, etc.). The nice thing about boatanchors is that they don't take up quite as much room as a console TV, and several of them can be put into a rack cabinet to take up less floor space. Just remember to lift with your legs, not your back...
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Audiokarma
Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

A national 173 or 183 they have Nice 6v6 audio and so does the hallicrafters um is it sx-40 that has 6v6 output and the sx-62 but it lacks a bfo.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post
A national 173 or 183 they have Nice 6v6 audio and so does the hallicrafters um is it sx-40 that has 6v6 output and the sx-62 but it lacks a bfo.
Don't forget the NC-183D, which offers dual conversion on the higher bands. I have one, and it does a very good job receiving signals. Just watch out for the 'death cap' which might be connected to the power transformer. Anyway, here's a picture of mine:

As for the Hallicrafters, both the SX-28 and SX-42 (along with the über-rare SX-88) also offer 2x 6V6 audio (and the SX-42 offers both FM reception and BFO). I have a SX-42, but it's a bit of a basketcase. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it working someday...
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors

Last edited by AdamAnt316; 05-17-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Motorola Minion

Tim, I can get file cabinets (the old heavy ones with dark gray, green or mahogany print) for $10 here. You'll need them for the Sams sets. I got 4 myself.
Plus you can put the boat anchors on top of the file cabs for display and access.