Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Stuck in the past!

1997 Philips Magnavox mom's vcr. hit by lightning with issues

Dad bought this unit brand new in 98 and maybe used 1 time. He passed in 99 and it just sat there with mom till her house was remodeled in 2005 where the idiots reconnected the tv to the surge suppressor but plugged the vcr directly to the wall leaving it Unprotected. I returned in 2006 only to find that it was off. Thinking that it was unplugged, I checked it and it was still plugged in. I tore it down and found the fuse blown so I replaced and it powered on again. I did no further testing as I figured since it was on, all was good and I placed it back in its regular spot. It wasn't till I returned again sometime during 2009 and after that I tried the unit only to find the drive has issues getting the tape in unless you push in and down to help it. Also as you can see in the pics, video playback is scrambled and only clears up during fast forward. Also, the display on the front gets dim at times and brightens again. This seems to stop once it's warm. Keep in mind this unit has well less than 10 hours on it and everything is clean as well as the heads I checked. The only thing not affected is the audio. What all do I need to look at in order to get this cleared up? I checked the caps in the power supply section but didn't see any bulging or leaking but I still suspect. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180102_140946.jpg (59.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 0102181350_Burst01.jpg (76.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 0102181350.jpg (42.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 0102181350a.jpg (57.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by pac.attack76; 01-02-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hardened lubrication, stiff belts and rubber rollers?

Old 01-02-2018, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Hardened lubrication, stiff belts and rubber rollers?

That thing doesn't look that bad from being a lightning hit. If the damage was more severe, just replacing the fuse wouldn't have got it to work this well. At least the power supply components would have been damaged at the very least.
As WiscoJim stated, it's more of a mechanical issue, due to non-use.
If it's a Funai built unit, who knows!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Stuck in the past!

No I've checked all that. This is not lube, belts, or any of that. As I mentioned earlier, the audio was perfect. Shortly after I posted this, I got it to clear up pretty well. I'm still not sure where the distortion came from. Was rolling and was acting as if there was a filter issue. That's why I was thinking caps. As of tonight, I've watched 3 movies with little problem. The drive seems to be off by a couple notches as when the tape ejects, it tries to go back in again, hangs up, then shuts off. That's about the worse problem this thing has. Still no explanation as to why the display would grow weak, then brighten again. It's like ever since the lightning hit it, it's been a bit off. Guess I can't complain too much though. This is the best it's run in awhile. Any idea how to get the tray back in time?
Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I hope you can get her happy again Pac (VCRs are beautiful)
Audiokarma
Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Stuck in the past!

How do I reset the loading tray? Every time the tape is ejected, it tries to go back in and shuts off.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

These things are notorious for the eject issue. Try pulling the mechanism out and cleaning the mode selector switch. You may need to desolder it, depending on the model.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Stuck in the past!

I'll try that. Not sure what the switch looks like but there's probably only one right?
Old 01-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Stuck in the past!

Everything but the drive issue has cleared up with use. I did my first 100 hour maintenance on it and while I was in there, I lifted the drive out to see what was going on. Couldn't find anything and it's acting like there's a tape in when it's empty because it'll try to load and it can't so it comes back and shuts off. Is that a sensor failing?
Old 02-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Stuck in the past!

I guess I'll just have to deal with it trying to reload and shut off every time a tape is ejected. I can't figure out why it wants to reload every time it's powered on. I've watched around 120 movies without any other issues.