Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB9KXH
Today i bought a Grundig mini 300 world band receiver at radio shack for 29.95 and im very impressed with its performance at such a cheap price. Turned it on and tuned in radio Thailand in the 49 meter band crystal clear for my first station.Although i do have both old and new radios i think the newer radios outperform the older ones in the same price range with exceptions as all rules have. I do however like the old tube type audio amplifiers sound better but think the newer radios have better front ends and detectors if you get the right models.
Well maybe i spoke too soon, it lasted 2 days, i took it back and got a pro 97 instead.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's ashame that you can't buy "transistor" radios with the quality of 40 years ago. They could certainly build them that good, and it wouldn't cost that much. Imagine the kind of AM radio that someone like Panasonic could build today if they really put their mind to it. $30-40 would go a long way and you could have an extremely durable radio with amazing performance. No market for it, I guess. Same deal with things like toasters and lots of other small appliances, things like that. They just don't seem to care at all about quality anymore. All about price...but if they could just add a few dollars worth of quality to the product it would go a long way.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:04 PM
AK Member

If you want a great analog portable for the price find a panasonic RF2200. am,fm, and shortwave with great audio.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 PM
coolgeer

Great thread
I've been lugging around an original Superadio at work for the last couple of years and it's taken a beating, left on my bumper a couple times...I play it all day at work (Jim Rome), then all-night-stand duty with (Coast To Coast), all on the six D-cells. Only have to change them once a year. The thing pulls stations like no other radio I've had....Brett