Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Emud 921 & Silvertone tube consoles

OK, so I brought home two more consoles, like I need them. The first is a circa '60 Emud German AM/FM/SW console with a Telefunken record changer. I havent pulled the back yet; but, judging by another one I saw, it uses a SE-EL84 for each channel. They said the radio worked; but, the phono was dead. IDK, I haven't checked it yet. Actually, someone brought this to one of the local flea market owners and tried to sell it to them for $60. The owner of the flea market didn't want it and called to see if I did. I told him that I wanted it; but, wouldn't have any money until the 1st. He said that if I'd promise to take it, he'd go ahead and buy it and I could give him the $60 on the 1st. So, I got it today and gave him an extra $10 for his troubles. It looks black; but, it's actually a very dark brown finish. The other one I saw looks just like it; so, that tells me that the finish is original.

Went to another flea market and got this cheapie circa '62 Warwick built Silvertone AM/FM/stereo phono console for $25. The owner was going to gut it; but, I talked her into selling it to me. She did agree that me getting it going again would be better than gutting it. This is a series string xxC5 output tube based chassis with two 8"-10" side firing full range speakers. Despite it being a low end model, it will probably still turn out nice.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Me likey the Emud...The Silvertone...Did cats use it as a latrine or sumpin' ?!?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 PM
electronics packrat

The changer in that Silvertone is a very good one when working properly, very gentle to records. I have a higher-end '59 model with the same changer inside.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I suspect that mice used the record changer compartment for a bathroom. The bottom panel has been chewed on and I see a little mouse evidence inside.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I suspect that mice used the record changer compartment for a bathroom. The bottom panel has been chewed on and I see a little mouse evidence inside.

Looks to me like the changer not only was attacked by mice, but is rusty as well. Did you test the changer to see if it works at all? It may look filthy, but it could be working just fine. I don't know who made the changers for these Warwick/Silvertone consoles, though; I'd guess, however, because of the quality, they were probably a good make such as V-M. I'd clean it up a bit, oil the motor and turntable bearings, then put a record on it. I bet it would sound great. The radio will probably bring in more stations than you can shake a stick at, and will probably, even likely, sound every bit as good as the phonograph. This console may have series-string tubes, but Warwick was still making excellent electronics in this country in the early 1960s. (I had a Warwick-built 1964-vintage Silvertone color TV in the early '70s that worked, sorta-kinda, until a circuit board crumbled when I tried to replace a tube.) My Zenith C845 radio (my avatar) is a case in point as to the quality of early-sixties electronics. It was made 53 years ago, but still sounds great and brings in FM stations like a magnet, using only the built-in line-cord antenna.

As to your Emud console, it reminds me of a console radio-phono my grandmother had years ago. Hers was a different make (Imperial-Edelmuth, IIRC), but the brass door pull on the door over the phono on yours rang a bell in my head. Hers had a large, heavy door over both the radio's controls and the record changer. It finally quit when a filter cap let go, creating a loud hum in the speakers.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-01-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Most Sears changers, made between the mid '50's and the early '70's, were made by Crescent. The one in mine is a Crescent-made "Syntronic" changer. I manually turned the platter and the tonearm cycled back to it's rest; but, I didn't test it any further. Before I worry about the changer, I need to get the radio working.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a video that shows the inside of the Emud console:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4NnutuyO3U
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

That Emud is awesome.