Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:21 PM
I love old stuff

H.D. C.R.T. anyone?

Does anyone from here ownes a H.D. C.R.T. tv? 720p, 1080i or event 1035i?
Old 04-26-2021, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 1080i Sony Trinitron set.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:30 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
I have a 1080i Sony Trinitron set.
Same here. Mine has HDMI and ATSC tuning too.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-27-2021, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those have got to be quite uncommon, the very tail end of crts I would assume?
Old 04-27-2021, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I used to have a Toshiba 1080i CRT Set (Flat CRT) it was a 32" set and that sucker was heavy, it probably weighed in close to 100 pounds or so!

When I went to finally take it to the landfill to recycle it, I had it in the back of my Subaru Forester and when we were pulling out of the driveway the TV lurched back and smashed my rear window!

The funny thing is that even after going through my rear window the TV was still intact!

Pro-tip: Never set a 32" CRT TV (HD or not) with the CRT facing the rear window in the back of a hatchback SUV, you'll more than likely bust out your rear window doing that when you're braking.
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2021, 12:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJCANADA View Post
Those have got to be quite uncommon, the very tail end of crts I would assume?
Not that much... around 5 years ago when I got mine used I had a lower end coarser phosphor pitch model off the curb and gave it to a friend when I got mine. If the region has a thriving middle class there should be a decent number still around. Flat panel sets only starting to catch up to the contrast ratio and color reproduction these are capable of so most owners kept these sets a long time.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-27-2021, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sanyo Vizon HT30746 30 inch!
1080i
HEAVY! 16x9 crt.
Again, HEAVY!
Old 04-27-2021, 05:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
I used to have a Toshiba 1080i CRT Set (Flat CRT) it was a 32" set and that sucker was heavy, it probably weighed in close to 100 pounds or so!

When I went to finally take it to the landfill to recycle it, I had it in the back of my Subaru Forester and when we were pulling out of the driveway the TV lurched back and smashed my rear window!

The funny thing is that even after going through my rear window the TV was still intact!

Pro-tip: Never set a 32" CRT TV (HD or not) with the CRT facing the rear window in the back of a hatchback SUV, you'll more than likely bust out your rear window doing that when you're braking.
I picked up a Sony XRP, which I think is a 36". Two younger guys picked it up and they had to rest while carrying it. I understand, it weighs over 200 pounds.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:17 PM
I love old stuff

But why did you dumped tv sets that where in working condition?
Makes me sad...
Old 04-28-2021, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Admiral I picked up a few weeks ago slid around in the back of my Forester and the UHF knob busted off. I buckled it up in one of the rear seats to secure it. I swear the mat in the back of that car is made of teflon and soaked in silicone......you take a gentle turn and everything slams and slides around back there.

Anyways a co-worker threatened to give me a 30-something inch HD CRT TV but I declined....I don't know where I'd put it and it weighs as much as a console. I wouldn't kick a GDM-FW900 outta bed though
Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2021, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

In reality it may have a problem or the customer thought it did. He looks
for a TV shop & dosnt find any. Now he picks up a new LCD BIG screen & gets rid of the bulky, ugly & heavy set. He is as we say " keeping up with the Jones" with the new set also.
At the shop we had to rent a trailer to store junk TV's. The recyclers emptied
it ever 3 weeks. Most was still working or had simple problems. On a good day
we would get businesses junking monitors by the truck load. We often made more $$ junking sets than in sales & service. Being an old "yankee" I
detested the waste of perfectly good things....

enuf fer now
73 Zeno
LFOD !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
But why did you dumped tv sets that where in working condition?
Makes me sad...
Old 04-30-2021, 05:19 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I picked up a Sony XRP, which I think is a 36". Two younger guys picked it up and they had to rest while carrying it. I understand, it weighs over 200 pounds.
Been there, done that. A hernia set (as we called them in the business).
Old 05-01-2021, 07:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have a 32 Insignia 'who ever made them'Probably Funai here.It was heavy as a mother but glad that I got it.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up the Sony 34XBR960 34" with the Superfine pitch CRT and tuner about 8 years ago. I did a board swap for the known bad chip that kills power up. I just did the whole board as the internet was not up to date on the errant chip then and bogus chips were a problem. 21 board connections.

The CRT pixel light source...good for 65 years now...is to my broadcasting trained eye the best. Flat screens to me just look like a bunch of venetian blinds trying to make color.

Mine has a bit of a bow on the UL and LR corners but not enough to mess with the service controls. Have another glass of wine and it goes away. Last summer I did go after the focus which was getting soft. It is on the right rear corner as you face it on a diagonal...and the master screen is just below it. You can get to it through the back vents. You can see it with a flashlight and use a needle nose and break off a few vent lines. A long tuning stick will get to it and it is back in focus...but a bit soft at the edges.

It only has one HDMI in so I use a switch to see others but now I am finding that some HDMI will not work on it. Maybe an updated HDMI that it cannot see? It is also on my OTA antenna and those signals are way better than my same Comcast channel.

I found a Target house brand 4K set 2 years ago to replace it. Still in the box. It will not die.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xbr.jpg (69.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-01-2021, 09:10 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
I picked up the Sony 34XBR960 34" with the Superfine pitch CRT and tuner about 8 years ago... It only has one HDMI in so I use a switch to see others but now I am finding that some HDMI will not work on it. Maybe an updated HDMI that it cannot see?
Hi, Dave-

The issue may be that many newer devices no longer have 1080i outputs but only 720p and 1080p. It is so long since I had any CRT HD device, that I forgot if sets such as your Sony could also accept a 720p signal. Perhaps your suspect devices can be manually set to that mode to test it.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma