Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2014, 05:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Blunderof the Week

I started working on this AC/battery portable, the "Troubador." It's a cheaply-built radio, but remarkably well preserved. The set has no identification as to manufacturer or retail brand and no apparent model or chassis numbers.

The only hint as to its heritage is a standard warning label with "W. M. Co." at the bottom. Fortunately, the original operating and service instructions were inside the cabinet, and the schematic is identical to the Warwick Mfg. Corp. Model 0-50 (Riders Vol. 11 page 7).

Here's what I did yesterday. I decided to remove the shields from the above-chassis IF transformers. When I was spinning the top retaining nut from first transformer, T4--well, I wasn't spinning the nut, I was spinning the core and coils and broke all four coil connections. I found the broken ends of each wire (they're really thin), painted the wires to make them identifiable and soldered a bleb on the end of each one to facilitate handling and soldering. The black stuff is "liquid tape" which I hope will prevent breaking the wire (again) during handling.

So, where should the wires be attached? The two coils seem to be identical--both 34 ohms. All I can figure out is that the ends of the lower coil go across one of the adjustable caps and the end of the upper coil go across the other cap. I don't know if it makes any difference which coil goes to which cap or if +/- order makes any difference.
Here's most of the schematic with the T4 chassis connections shown in their actual colors.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone can help me out with this.