Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

The car I'd love to have,,, If I had the $$$ :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ane_KsdviE
Old 01-14-2021, 01:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow.
You actually CAN make a beetle faster than a modern hatchback.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice!
Old 01-14-2021, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

My 1st car was an old 1972 VW bug, I learned to drive with it, since then, I have never owned a car with less than 3 pedals.

NO CLUTCH, NO TOUCH!
Old 01-14-2021, 04:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I prefer the Corvair mid engine big block V8 conversion. Much
roomier, easy on the eyes & a smooth ride.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 01-14-2021, 11:27 PM
The Resident Brony

At least a VW Beetle is pretty have-able. Mods like that are so common, in fact, that you could probably buy most of the parts off the shelf. A pos Beetle can't cost you more than $2k, and the rest is a project for you. Chevy 350s are a dime a dozen in the bone yards.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:32 PM
M is for Memory

When I was a little kid I used to like VW beetles thanks to the old 60s Disney movies.

In time with their you need to own 2 to keep one running reputation, and "Adolph Hitler commissioned Ferdinand Porsche to build a people's car" genesis kinda eliminated my interest in everything VW.... Though diesel gate made the part of me that dislikes all the fake global warming BS see the brand in a more positive light.

The aesthetic part of my mind that liked the beetle eventually reached the conclusion that the pre-war designed GM fastback bodys have everything I liked in the beetle turned up to 11...So I bought one instead of a beetle. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=273276

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-15-2021, 09:43 PM
M is for Memory

Oops double post.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

when I was a kid, my parents had a old type 3 VW, that looked exactly like this, https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content...?fit=940%2C628
and kept it till it was like 10-15 years or older, till the engine failed.

I too was enamoured with Herbie, the Love Bug, thus a Bug was my first owned car.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

There was a period perhaps 10 or 15 years ago where owning a Beetle was a neat idea but even then the value of even the rough shape classic bugs was already in the thousands. The problem I learned later was that they were built to be a cheap and not necessarily an economy car for touring states/provinces the size of multiple european countries (but they were small, moderately cheap and lightweight so a small engine made them pretty good for MPG even before the oil crisis) and if you are going to run a stock Beetle you are NEVER going to stop wrenching on that engine. The body brings out a lot of nostalgia but some of the design aspects are no better than a Yugo.
I'm not sure how it varies out east but on the west coast a beetle carcass can start at $4000 and go from there. How a a fair to poor condition Westfalia can list for and sell above $10000 blows my mind. F*****g hipsters. Be it for performance bugs like you want or to rebuild and flip for five figure prices, they are not cheap cars anymore.

Last edited by MIPS; 01-16-2021 at 01:08 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-16-2021, 05:43 AM
60s Throwback

My Grandfather's last four cars were VWs; a green 1966 Beetle, a 1971 Gold Squareback, which got T-boned, a 1972 green Squareback, and the last car he ever owned, a 1974 bright yellow Super Beetle with fuel injection. He loved those cars.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I want cars that no normal person would ever want, like a W-body Pontiac Grand Prix. I'm just weird like that.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
There was a period perhaps 10 or 15 years ago where owning a Beetle was a neat idea but even then the value of even the rough shape classic bugs was already in the thousands. The problem I learned later was that they were built to be a cheap and not necessarily an economy car for touring states/provinces the size of multiple european countries (but they were small, moderately cheap and lightweight so a small engine made them pretty good for MPG even before the oil crisis) and if you are going to run a stock Beetle you are NEVER going to stop wrenching on that engine. The body brings out a lot of nostalgia but some of the design aspects are no better than a Yugo.
I'm not sure how it varies out east but on the west coast a beetle carcass can start at $4000 and go from there. How a a fair to poor condition Westfalia can list for and sell above $10000 blows my mind. F*****g hipsters. Be it for performance bugs like you want or to rebuild and flip for five figure prices, they are not cheap cars anymore.
I tend to disagree, my 72 super bug was rebuilt by a dear friend of mine and needed almost NO maintenance, other than the normal yearly recommended, the thing i remember most is how easy it was to start, all i I had to do was hit the starter for 5-10 seconds and it would fire up, granted, it was NOT stock, it was MUCH more powerful than OEM, I had that car for many years , until some near sighted teen destroyed it in a rear end collision, and the POS insurance said it was only worth $900, SCREW THEM!!!
Old 01-16-2021, 10:02 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
I tend to disagree, my 72 super bug was rebuilt by a dear friend of mine and needed almost NO maintenance, other than the normal yearly recommended, the thing i remember most is how easy it was to start, all i I had to do was hit the starter for 5-10 seconds and it would fire up, granted, it was NOT stock, it was MUCH more powerful than OEM, I had that car for many years , until some near sighted teen destroyed it in a rear end collision, and the POS insurance said it was only worth $900, SCREW THEM!!!
The stock ones suck. My ma's family had several new ones in the 60s and 70s (about the only new cars they could afford) and basically the only way they'd start in the rain is if the engine was tarped before it started falling. Of course Chicago weather tends to be hard on cars...

A friend of mine had something similar happen to his 90s Honda prelude....I was with him when in the rain some middle age lady from the oncoming lane cut him off to turn into a pet boarding house (if the the pavement was dry it'd been a near miss)... front bumper cover and headlamp destroyed, hood corner bent, passenger fender bent(the Merc SUV that cut him off...reflector lense popped off and some scratches). Insurance totalled it but my friend bought it back and patched it up really well... of course a few years later the check engine light came on and he couldn't fix it and sold it.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
Never had any desire to own a VW. It's strictly transportation and not for hauling big items.
On a side note, a few months ago, I seen a newer model Rolls Royce on the interstate. In Wisconsin, you don't see them that often!
It had Green Bay Packers personalized plates. I couldn't see the driver because of the dark tint on the windows and the driver was going faster than I.
I was also near my exit.
Audiokarma