Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was yabbering to an electrical repair man who went to a neighbours house earlier (I gave him a cup of tea, us English always give everyone a cup of tea, it was builders tea = strong black tea with milk & sugar to taste, real tea not this fancy green stuff) & he told me to buy the cheapest washing machine I could find at Tesco, Argos or a similar cheapo place & run it till it breaks down then scrap it. Then buy another cheapo job & repeat. He said to do the same with TV's & DVD players..
Old 08-19-2017, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
I was yabbering to an electrical repair man who went to a neighbours house earlier (I gave him a cup of tea, us English always give everyone a cup of tea, it was builders tea = strong black tea with milk & sugar to taste, real tea not this fancy green stuff) & he told me to buy the cheapest washing machine I could find at Tesco, Argos or a similar cheapo place & run it till it breaks down then scrap it. Then buy another cheapo job & repeat. He said to do the same with TV's & DVD players..
I drive past a appliance dealer, almost daily and they set the trade-ins next to the building. I see a lot of really late model washers, dryers, fridges, ranges and microwaves.
As I understand, it could cost at least half of replacement cost for the repairs on these items. By the looks of some these items, they're higher end, at least over $1000 USD new! Many front load washers and matching dryers.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I drive past a appliance dealer, almost daily and they set the trade-ins next to the building. I see a lot of really late model washers, dryers, fridges, ranges and microwaves.
As I understand, it could cost at least half of replacement cost for the repairs on these items. By the looks of some these items, they're higher end, at least over $1000 USD new! Many front load washers and matching dryers.
It reminds me of going to the pick n pull wrecking yard, and seeing that most of the cars there, are newer than my daily driver. Makes me wonder if people get rid of things prematurely, or if I just hold on to them too long. In any case, I don't see the sense in replacing appliances which work perfectly well, or require minor repair. I think a large part of the problem, is service techs who are not much more than parts changers, and a lack of interest/resourcefulness/ability of the average consumer to repair what they own.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
It reminds me of going to the pick n pull wrecking yard, and seeing that most of the cars there, are newer than my daily driver. Makes me wonder if people get rid of things prematurely, or if I just hold on to them too long. In any case, I don't see the sense in replacing appliances which work perfectly well, or require minor repair. I think a large part of the problem, is service techs who are not much more than parts changers, and a lack of interest/resourcefulness/ability of the average consumer to repair what they own.
You heard the old saying, "A fool and their money!".
I keep my cars until the repairs, if needed, exceed the Blue Book wholesale price of the car. I see people do that all the time, spending $3000 on a car that's worth $2000.
I, generally don't have problems with my cars! If I do, I will attempt to do the repairs myself, as I now have the time.