Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a RCA CTC 53A and need the schematic and ajustment notes

As odd as it is we still have analog tv that is broadcast on Ch 2 so I did pull the Admiral Deluxe 21 out of storage and sure enough I can watch the news an not pay a cable bill.

B&W is fine but now I want color and I have a CTC 53A in decent shape but need the diagram and adjustment notes

The CRT has very good emission good horizontal deflection I can see that the
vertical output circuit has bad linearity and may have some bad caps

also no sound and a blank raster but can get good color test pattern and sound by injecting IF signal with a Sencore VA62

So far just checked and have around 268vdc to the tuner and also changed the 3HA5

I also know that these TVs can eat up a 24LQ6 and the Horiz. efficiency coil real quick.

I never thought I would be restoring one of these, Maybe I'm not the collector snob I use to be.
Mike
Old 08-27-2019, 07:01 PM
Convergence freak!

If this is the one I'm thinking of, there are 3 or 4 white caps with the black ring on one side in the vertical circuit. They go leaky. Have you tried cleaning the tuner. How does it act when you try to switch in the middle of channels? Have access to a VOM that can test capacitance? Could be some out of tolerance caps on the IF too I suppose.

I always do the wiggle test when in question wiggle the tubes around the IF section to see if you get any change while the TV is on usually wear gloves or use a wooden stick to perform this.

Unfortunately I dont have a Sam's on that one.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:51 AM
Convergence freak!

Actually now that I think about it, dont think it's an IF issue since you inject composite into 1st IF and looks good. Tuner issue..

Wiggle the 3HA5 and see if you get a signal. I've seen those sockets go bad.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:36 AM
M is for Memory

I had one and probably the service info, but sold it.

Since the IF is good and the tuner bad, try cleaning the channel contacts...I've seen them so dirty in some sets that an otherwise good tuner wouldn't pass anything... also check the wires to the tuner haven't snapped loose.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-29-2019, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks I will try de ox on the tuner contacts and check for broken wires
I live I a world where I get the strangest fault causes my luck I could have a bad tube socket.
Mike
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2019, 01:08 AM
Convergence freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I had one and probably the service info, but sold it.

Since the IF is good and the tuner bad, try cleaning the channel contacts...I've seen them so dirty in some sets that an otherwise good tuner wouldn't pass anything... also check the wires to the tuner haven't snapped loose.
2nd that on a dirty tuner. The one on my CTC39 was so bad I had to pull the knob down to the right to make contact. I did mine the old fashioned way, removed the tuner, pulled the tuner shield back and sprayed the contacts with wd40 while rotating the channel knob back and forth vigorously. then put the shield back and give a fast 10 turn clockwise then counterclockwise.

Some people swear by wd40, some dont. It's been good to me for like 20 different tuners throughout the years.

Try the deox first.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:53 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
2nd that on a dirty tuner. The one on my CTC39 was so bad I had to pull the knob down to the right to make contact. I did mine the old fashioned way, removed the tuner, pulled the tuner shield back and sprayed the contacts with wd40 while rotating the channel knob back and forth vigorously. then put the shield back and give a fast 10 turn clockwise then counterclockwise.

Some people swear by wd40, some dont. It's been good to me for like 20 different tuners throughout the years.

Try the deox first.
There is a good affordable tuner cleaner called De-Ox-Id (there is no T in the name) that I'm partial to. There is also the big white rubber eraser trick, which I often combine with tuner cleaner to really scrub the tarnish off.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-29-2019, 08:16 AM
Convergence freak!

That's the stuff I have. Seems to work great with potentiometers but never had luck with the tuners with it surprisingly.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raster View Post
As odd as it is we still have analog tv that is broadcast on Ch 2 so I did pull the Admiral Deluxe 21 out of storage and sure enough I can watch the news an not pay a cable bill.

B&W is fine but now I want color and I have a CTC 53A in decent shape but need the diagram and adjustment notes

The CRT has very good emission good horizontal deflection I can see that the
vertical output circuit has bad linearity and may have some bad caps

also no sound and a blank raster but can get good color test pattern and sound by injecting IF signal with a Sencore VA62

So far just checked and have around 268vdc to the tuner and also changed the 3HA5

I also know that these TVs can eat up a 24LQ6 and the Horiz. efficiency coil real quick.

I never thought I would be restoring one of these, Maybe I'm not the collector snob I use to be.
Mike
I have one of those, an ex-hotel set. Not exactly my dream RCA. I also have a similar smaller CTC51K, 14" set. Both of those models have the low voltage focus CRT. Even if the tube checks good, when they're a little older the focus is rather poor.
Isn't there really good sets around your place for free or very cheap?