Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Television Foundation CRT Rebuilding Project

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-03-2024, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

CRT Repair in San Diego?

Hi all!

I got a KD-34XBR970, and am looking for a technician to service it.

It has a color purity issue in the upper left corner, for which I found a sweet spot to attach magnets on the bezel (not too close to the tube). It works and such, but also, maybe not so great looking at magnets taped to the bezel.

It also has geometry issues and alignment issues. It does a crazy amount of overscan in both directions according to a calibration graphic I use. I also wouldn’t mind a recap job.

Any recommendations for technicians in and around San Diego?

Thanks!

- Katrina
Old 02-04-2024, 11:53 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I hope ya find someone good who can do this for ya buddy!!!

CRTs are beautiful

Welcome to VK!!
Old 02-08-2024, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badferday View Post

It has a color purity issue in the upper left corner, for which I found a sweet spot to attach magnets on the bezel (not too close to the tube). It works and such, but also, maybe not so great looking at magnets taped to the bezel.
I was an ASC for Sony when these were new, and I have to tell you these were some of the worst turned out TVs made - ever. There was a revision for a new deflection yoke which would improve customer complaints for purity, edge convergence, and geometry errors, but few were ever excellent, most acceptable, and a lot of them I wouldn't own.

There's a chance your automatic degausser isn't working (there's a dual thermister and a relay) and a manual degausser might improve it. A way to tell if the auto degausser is working is to turn on the TV after it's been off for an hour at least in a very quiet room. When you turn on the TV, listen to a "bong" sound - the sound the degauss shield makes when the degauss coil is energized). If you hear that sound, the automatic degausser is working. If not, a manual degaussing might help. If using a manual degausser, you must be careful not to get it too close to the faceplate of the CRT because Sony shadow masks are delicate and can be warped by a strong degausser or one of the support wires can break inside the tube (bad).

We used to order an RCA service part for stick on flexible magnets and try to fudge these best we could (they were installed *inside* the TV between the yoke and the mounting brackets). When doing so, we would make sure the TV was facing the exact compass heading when trimming as the more magnets that were added, the more sensitive the TV became to changing compass position.

Quote:
It also has geometry issues and alignment issues. It does a crazy amount of overscan in both directions according to a calibration graphic I use.
Geometry may or may not be able to be adjusted out (especially with early deflection yokes), but overscan can be easily adjusted in the service menu.

John