Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:53 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueAnders View Post
including the chassis and inside stuff:
It looks like it is not a remote set as I don’t see the large remote chassis.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is NOT a remote set, just motorized VHF tuner. It does have a UHF
tuner. Even if it were hidden the green antenna wires are a give away.
Zenith always used brown for VHF & green for UHF.
You can see the dial lamps & numbers disks also. The mystery is
where the hell do the numbers shine through ????
Maybe its got the wrong knobs ? When I get chance I will look
in the line folders......

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-20-2018, 03:08 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Is NOT a remote set, just motorized VHF tuner. It does have a UHF
tuner. Even if it were hidden the green antenna wires are a give away.
Zenith always used brown for VHF & green for UHF.
You can see the dial lamps & numbers disks also. The mystery is
where the hell do the numbers shine through ????
Maybe its got the wrong knobs ? When I get chance I will look
in the line folders......

73 Zeno
LFOD !
I see a rectangular cutout in the metal control panel for the numbers but it is covered up by the wood grain decal that says color on the front panel. I really wonder if this set has the correct knobs for the volume and tuning. Shouldn’t the volume knob have the tri-color logo?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:17 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
including the chassis and inside stuff:
I don't see a remote chassis (though IIRC it was usually hung from the top back of the cabinet which is not pictured), and lack of text reading "Space Command" on the front leads me to believe it is a Non-remote set with motorized tuning.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-20-2018, 03:19 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
I see a rectangular cutout in the metal control panel for the numbers but it is covered up by the wood grain decal that says color on the front panel. I really wonder if this set has the correct knobs for the volume and tuning. Shouldn’t the volume knob have the tri-color logo?
It will shine through that slightly translucent grain. They would not have included internal number wheels if they were going to use numbered knobs.

Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2018, 03:22 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It will shine through that slightly translucent grain. They would not have included internal number wheels if they were going to use numbered knobs.
I would like to see it on to know how well those channel numbers show up through the decal. It is a neat idea, though. My set has the channel numbers viewed through the center of the tuning knob.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
I would like to see it on to know how well those channel numbers show up through the decal. It is a neat idea, though. My set has the channel numbers viewed through the center of the tuning knob.
I have an older (probably from a 29KC20) power tuning tuner cluster and it's bezel in my spare tuners box. It has that plastic wood grain and IIRC I once powered the dial lamps and found it was viewable in normal room lighting...It is kind of unexpected and cool to see it shine through when you don't expect it to.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's probably a good thing it's not a remote model; less complicated and less to go wrong! With with the motorized tune, how do you change the channel, is there an Up and Down button somewhere? There's nothing visible on the control panel.

The tuning knob is solid, there doesn't seem to be a clear window for the channel number to shine through. So it would come through the wood-grain? That seems kind of odd!

We're kind of scared to plug it in and turn it on, my hubby's experience is limited to minor car re-wiring, a few old stereos and clock radios with tubes! As they say - first do no harm!

Last edited by SueAnders; 01-20-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just an FYI, no vitriol intended...

Sue, you get some leeway here because you are new, but it's bad procedure to start so many threads about the same TV in the same forum.

It makes it terribly difficult to keep track of what happens to the set between when you first saw it until we finally get you through restoring it to a functioning and reliable TV. It causes us to miss what you did in earlier posts, which may be vital to help you in later ones. For example you have now placed pictures of the set in a thread. Later we might have to locate them again to help you with a future problem. All in one thread makes them easy to find. It's to your advantage to keep the story flowing smoothly.

To the moderators: Any chance one of you could come and combine 4 of these threads? The other two in introductions and classifieds are indeed separate.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh I'm sorry, I'm new to this! Can someone please put everything all together as has been suggested? it does make sense in this case. The vintage home an car sites are very differently structured! Henceforth I will just continue on with this thread then.

Last edited by SueAnders; 01-20-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
It's probably a good thing it's not a remote model; less complicated and less to go wrong! With with the motorized tune, how do you change the channel, is there an Up and Down button somewhere? There's nothing visible on the control panel.

The tuning knob is solid, there doesn't seem to be a clear window for the channel number to shine through. So it would come through the wood-grain? That seems kind of odd!

We're kind of scared to plug it in and turn it on, my hubby's experience is limited to minor car re-wiring, a few old stereos and clock radios with tubes! As they say - first do no harm!
Probable that the front VHF knob is the VHF channel up/down motor rocker switch. If it moves a few degrees one way or the other and no more, and also wants to return to one center position then that is your motor control. The back knob is an auxiliary manual VHF knob. Go with the back VHF knob for now. The motor shaft extends (and turns) when powered to mesh gears with the VHF tuner shaft (much like a car's starter motor). The shaft is greased and the grease tends to turn to glue...If you do not free and lube the motor shaft before powering the motor then the motor won't turn and will stay powered overheating it and risking damage...

Since the chassis was powered recently to take that screenshot it should be safe to power again for monitored tests shorter than 5 min.
Zeno advised you on grarscale/screen/G2 adjustments a while back...Might want to do that to check your CRT.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's good to know!

WiscoJim suggested that we obtain a "SAM photo fact 757-4".
I did a web search and the main seller of them "schematicman" doesn't have that one available (of course!), and I couldn't find it on eBay or elsewhere. Does anyone know a source for an original copy? We have trouble reading reproductions of things, and I just found out yesterday I need to have cataract surgery (the eyes, not the TV screen!)! Too much sun over the years. Any suggestions on the SAM thing is appreciated!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

You can buy Sams Photofacts directly from the publisher:

https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photo...earch&s=Search

If you live near a large public library, it's worth checking with the reference desk. Some libraries have subscriptions with Sams that let their patrons download any Sams manual for free.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 01-20-2018, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Phil!
I read somewhere on another radio forum that the SAM from the publisher are expensive and are just sometimes rather iffy copies, so we would prefer an original one if we can ffind it. My hubs says he got one once for a radio he worked on and it helped him a lot.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Thanks Phil!
I read somewhere on another radio forum that the SAM from the publisher are expensive and are just sometimes rather iffy copies, so we would prefer an original one if we can ffind it. My hubs says he got one once for a radio he worked on and it helped him a lot.
I have that Sams in PDF form. I have the same chassis in my Zenith roundie. I would be willing to send you a copy of the PDF file which you can print out. Just send me a Private message with an email address and I will get it to you if you want it.