Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
i <3 my Denon

Well...I did it...I bought a TV

After staring at my 22 year old XL100 console...beating the tuner to keep channel 3 in tune was getting old. So, I took the plunge last night and bought a TV.

I don't know if I can classify it as new. It was an open-box (actually no-box) special from best buy. I believe it was a floor model..the only issues it has were smuding from people's grubby hands being on it.

Its a 46" Dynex. CCFL backlight, only 60hz, but its 1080p and huge for the room its in. The panel looks outstanding. The tv lacks a lot of processing..basic video options. So I get some interlacing from my STB's 1080I output. PC over HDMI looks outstanding and my Samsung Blu-Ray player, which has a dead optical drive, plays media files off a hard drive and does all the internet streaming..watched some Hulu on it.

I picked this unit up for $449. Which about maxed out my just paid-off credit card. But I'm ok with that, its massive and looks outstanding for a basic HDTV "monitor". Watched some of the Eagles and Seahawks last night in amazement....and when I put on Spaceballs...I could tell the opening scene was a model.

Now my friends say if I get rid of the tube amps I'll finally be "with it"....fat chance...ill own a modern tv, but keep my vintage audio.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept with Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Banned

The later (post 2010 I believe ) model Dynex and Insignia sets are made by Hisense one of the worlds largest TV manufactures .

You are just as likely to have a Samsung, LG or AUO panel in it as you would in a Sony ,Visio or Samsung etc. although Hisense is getting vertically integrated now and has joint panel plants with Samsung I think .

I have a 2011 40" Dynex that has a premium Samsung 10 bit SPVA CCFL/LCD panel in it at a real decent 450cd/m2 and 4500:1 contrast ratio. The exact same panel is in a 2012 Toshiba I have also. Samsung and AUO made some really decent performing CCFL panels .

Just bought a new 2013 Sony KDL40R450A 40" for my bedroom it has an an Samsung SPVA LED/LCD (LED back lit 8bit panel )in it with a 5000:1 contrast ratio.
It's a nice set and all but the picture really isn't any better than my CCFL /LCD Toshiba but the speakers and sound are better.

My Toshiba P.Q. is better on 1080i Dish Sat, and Roku than my Dynex but about equal (which is to say very good )on 1080p ,PC/HDMI BD etc . ofc they have the same panel . The Dynex is not a bad set at all. Ofc the new Sony is made by Foxconn ( the iPhone folks) so is this HP PC ,my other two HP PC's and ~ 40% of the worlds consumer electronics . I looked at the Dynex and Insignia sets a few weeks ago when I bought this Sony and thought they were
pretty decent all in all.

The New Sony was assembled in Mexico at a Foxconn plant .I don't think there is a Sony part in it other than maybe a few proprietary chips on the mainboard. I owned a 27" Triniton and a 36" FD HD Trinitron when Sony's were actually Sony's. The first one lasted 14 yrs still worked when I gave it away the other made 12 yrs until a power surge killed it in 2012.

Last edited by tubetwister; 02-22-2014 at 09:01 PM.