Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Done Something RIGHT...

...For a change... You all know of my little "Girlfriend", Bethany, right ? She's more or less the daughter I never had. Well, her husband got out of the Army, they had a son, Logan, back in May, & have set up house not far from here, on top of a pretty decent hill. Anyhow, Bethany calls me, & we'll go "Do" lunch... Yesterday, we did, & she wanted to go to Best Buy, & look at antennas, & maybe a wall mount for their 60" TV. I bought her an antenna, I was kinda dubious over it, but thought we could take it back... Called her today, she said Corey put it up last nite, & they were getting something like 15 channels... I was FLABBERGASTED- But VERY happy for her, too..Apparently, the local stations here all have a bunch of "Sub-Channels" in w/'em, too..Anyhow, looks like I screwed up & done somethin' RIGHT, for a change...
Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Way to go! One less cable subscriber.

You did a good deed.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Corey seems to think if he moves it on to the side of the chimney, they MIGHT even get a few more.. They came down here tonite, & we went to the local Chinese buffet... This is the weekend my wife has to work, Corey said he'd likely have to work Saturday, so Bethany let me know it would be a Good Idea if I came up & took her to the Piccadilly cafeteria in the Kingsport mall... She used to always LOVE the Piccadilly when she was a kid..I'd "Big-Deal" her..."Yes, Bethany, we'll go Cruise the Mall, but we're gonna eat at the Piccadilly, & YOU'RE gonna eat some vegetables.." She'd shovel 'em down like there was no tomorrow, & I'd follow thru on my end of the deal- usually a top or 2, maybe a pair of pants, shoes... But I always saw to it she ate right when she was w/me, & she had nice clothes.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Old TVs are better!

An antenna is the way to go today. I gave up cable and satellite years ago. I get probably around 15 channels as well, depending on the weather and reception. Mostly I watch movies, videos, programs, and documentary's streamed over the web, connected to my 50 inch HDTV off my desktop. The only reason I see to have cable or satellite is to view live sporting events, that are not broadcast on the major over the air networks, such as ESPN. If you can put an antenna on the roof or high up, (especially if you have a rotor on it), you and I probably could get even a lot more channels.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

A quick reminder - if that is a brick chimney, caution is advised, as it is easy to damage one with a too-tight strap, especially if the chimney is not in prime condition. Plus, putting the antenna in the path of flue gases is asking for quicker corrosion.
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
A quick reminder - if that is a brick chimney, caution is advised, as it is easy to damage one with a too-tight strap, especially if the chimney is not in prime condition. Plus, putting the antenna in the path of flue gases is asking for quicker corrosion.
Danke Schoen ! I'll clue Corey in..
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Basic analog cable came free with my cable internet, the installer didn't tell me about it though. Still total crap, I only had it hooked up briefly. I could probably pull in better stuff with a rooftop antenna, but the super would have a fit about that.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I doubt if Bethany & Corey's land lord would mind.. Likely, he'd be HAPPY that TV works there, would use it as selling feature for the NEXT bunch of renters...
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTim View Post
Way to go! One less cable subscriber.

You did a good deed.
I totally agree. Nice work!

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I doubt if Bethany & Corey's land lord would mind.. Likely, he'd be HAPPY that TV works there, would use it as selling feature for the NEXT bunch of renters...
Yeah, I would have to run a cable under ground and up a power pole. Rules like that are made to be broken.
Audiokarma
Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Took Bethany, Corey & baby Logan to supper the other night.. Sat beside Logan, was dipping my pinkie-And other fingers- in Honey Mustard, Ranch & other dressings, & then into his mouth.. Kid will be "Teething" shortly, by all indications... He LOVED sucking the dressings off my fingers.. Can't wait for him to walk & talk, so I can utterly "Spoil" him, like I did his Mama, only WORSE this time... (grin)
Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

You did do a good thing, I don't miss cable/satellite at all. I have an antenna "system" up in the attic 1 large older Radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna aimed at Pittsburgh/Steubenville and a smaller UHF only aimed at Youngstown. Fed into a splitter/combiner, with a mast mount amp on the large antenna, then down to a distribution amplifier and fed to every tv/converter box in the house. On the outside of the houseI have an omni FM antenna on the mount where the disused to be, reused the coax and ran the FM to a distro amp to every FM receiver in the house.