Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

New Hampshire has a plethora of plates.
https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...ion/plates.htm
Almost all are the colorful "Old Man of the Mountains" - "Live Free Or Die"
type. When we were kids going somewhere plate spotting was a good
way of passing the time. The key plate is Hawaii VERY rare for obvious
reasons. All the rest can be spotted at a tourist trap in a day or two.
If you complete the states do Canada next.
In many states you used to have to get a new plate every year so they
had the year & often changed color. Traditionally in N.H. old plates were
hung in the garage or barn. My uncle had them from the teens on. N.H. people being very frugal ( not cheap ! ) they were often used as roof or wall patches & other projects.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 06-22-2019, 05:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Illinois (like all states) bans inappropriate vanity plates, but some slip through, as the department employees are not necessarily up on all slang terms. In AZ, the vanity plate application form asks for an explanation of exactly what it means.
I'm wondering which states I could get away with "ANUSTART" vanity plates

I'm partial to the New Mexico turquoise and chile plates. And yes I have 'em on my cars.

Interesting fact: NM plates are the only ones that say USA on them......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chileplate.JPG (69.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg New-Mexico-Turquoise-Centennial-Pass-License-Plate.jpg (25.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
If you want to see madness, check out pricing on transferable Delaware black tag plates. The original single and two digit plates are $$$ beyond belief.

http://lowdigittags.com/29.html
The local (Delaware) classifieds always have tags for sale; 5 digits might set you back around a $1k, and things go up from there. All the auction houses have them for sale, too. It's seen as an investment by many. It used to be common for folks to get a premium for their older beater car by making you buy it in order to get its plate.

MD has been making regular changes in recent years, after years of rather plain black/white tags. You can get Historic plates at 20 years; poorly enforced & often abused. I even saw one guy running a trash hauling business with an older F-350, using those cheap plates. If the vehicle is over 50 years old you only have to pay registration once and you're good "forever".

One of the specialty tags is yellow and promotes agriculture with a picture of barn, etc. Oddly, I see lots of these on vehicles from Baltimore, from a certain demographic. I have a theory...that it's supposed to identify purveyors of a cash crop? Unproven. Maybe they just like the color.

I run original '51 tags on my shoebox Ford; you just have to keep the real tags in the car somewhere. A pain to have to deal with the DMV in order to use them.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Noticed that Florida only has back plates, that wouldn't work here in England as most traffic violation cameras take a photo of the front of the car, it's naughty to not have a front plate & the cops will soon stop you. Motorbikes don't have a front plate & a lot of them seem to do what they like. Some naughty people use black insulating tape to change their number plates = make a C look like an O or an F an E etc, then the legal person receives a speeding or red light ticket & has a hell of a job convincing the cops he/she didn't do it, some just pay the fine & take the 3 points on their licence to save the hassle...
Old 07-04-2019, 07:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Georgia has plenty of plates but SC has even more. They even have one for licensed cosmetologist. In GA. you have to pay extra for all vanity plates now. At one time ham & veteran plates were free.
Now, if your antique car needs plates you can go one of two ways. One way is they have an antique plate with a picture of a model A on it with the prefix HA for hobby antique.
OR, you can find an old plate from the year of your vehicle and just give them the number on the plate. Of course, you still have to pay the fee.
Georgia only has plates on the rear.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 AM
Damn does run fast…

It's also common up in the NYC/NJ/PA area for motorcycles (mostly Harleys...) to run a vertical license plate, i.e. a regular plate flipped 90 degrees. NY/NJ don't seem to care, even though it's semi-officially verboten. PA, you can actually get a state-sanctioned vertical plate.

I can say with certainty that the automated toll machines can in fact read the plate no problem. I have pictures to prove it

Supposedly they impound your bike if you do that in Florida. Go figure.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Noticed that Florida only has back plates, that wouldn't work here in England as most traffic violation cameras take a photo of the front of the car, it's naughty to not have a front plate & the cops will soon stop you. Motorbikes don't have a front plate & a lot of them seem to do what they like. Some naughty people use black insulating tape to change their number plates = make a C look like an O or an F an E etc, then the legal person receives a speeding or red light ticket & has a hell of a job convincing the cops he/she didn't do it, some just pay the fine & take the 3 points on their licence to save the hassle...
Here in Wisconsin you are supposed to have 2 plates, but Dad has been driving his Accord around without a front plate for a decade and despite being given speeding tickets has never been bothered for not having the front plate (the car never had a place to mount a front plate). For about 3 years I have been following his example with my Lincoln Mark V....when the first front bumper got messed up the front plate got chewed up and I simply unbolted the holder off the replacement front bumper to give me an excuse not to bolt on the chewed plate.

Here in Wisconsin there are not many traffic cameras, but you can get and get out of incorrect tickets.... Last year somewhere in Milwaukee a Landover with a different paint color( I know because the ticket had make, model, color, plate number and location parked listed) than my Suburban got a parking ticket and the meter maid recorded my plate number by mistake....I made some calls explaining I'd never been in that area and that my plate had only been on GM vehicles and the ticket was dismissed as the mistake it was.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 07-05-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Here in Wisconsin you are supposed to have 2 plates
Several years ago Wisconsin tried to pass legislation only requiring front plates. The police were the main opponents. They (rightly) claimed that the plates are on cars primarily for law enforcement reasons, and if looking for a particular vehicle they can see and read thousands of license plates on vehicles coming towards them in traffic, but can only read the plate in front of them when following a car.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Several years ago Wisconsin tried to pass legislation only requiring front plates. The police were the main opponents. They (rightly) claimed that the plates are on cars primarily for law enforcement reasons, and if looking for a particular vehicle they can see and read thousands of license plates on vehicles coming towards them in traffic, but can only read the plate in front of them when following a car.

Ditto for Illinois.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

Here in Wisconsin there are not many traffic cameras, but you can get and get out of incorrect tickets.... Last year somewhere in Milwaukee a Landover with a different paint color( I know because the ticket had make, model, color, plate number and location parked listed) than my Suburban got a parking ticket and the meter maid recorded my plate number by mistake....I made some calls explaining I'd never been in that area and that my plate had only been on GM vehicles and the ticket was dismissed as the mistake it was.
I got out of a parking ticket a few years ago as they'd put the wrong make of car on ticket, it said it was a Seat, but my car was a Suzuki so ticket was cancelled.

Got stung a few months ago = parked car & saw a sign "one hour free" so went to the shops & came back 30 mins later to a a ticket, asked the parking warden why? He pointed to a very small sign saying you had to get a free ticket from the machine even for the free one hour. Been on local TV news about it being unfair. Also people have got parking tickets via CCTV camera for being stopped in traffic jams, it's getting daft here...
Audiokarma
Old 08-30-2019, 04:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is a TRUE story

The Governor of New Hampshire recently stepped in and forced the RMV to allow a woman to keep a plate she had for years . The woman , being a Mom , had a message for her kids right there in the car's license plate ;

PB4WEGO

And the RMV had sought to recall the plate because of it's reference to "excretory functions" . I'm glad the Gov of NH has a sense of humor .....

Old 08-30-2019, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
This is a TRUE story
Old 08-31-2019, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep , that's the one , Thank you Jim !

I just thought it was funny that I saw that story watching the morning news , and then I saw this thread about plates later in the day , I figured I just HAD to post it
Old 09-01-2019, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
This is a TRUE story

The Governor of New Hampshire recently stepped in and forced the RMV to allow a woman to keep a plate she had for years . The woman , being a Mom , had a message for her kids right there in the car's license plate ;

PB4WEGO

And the RMV had sought to recall the plate because of it's reference to "excretory functions" . I'm glad the Gov of NH has a sense of humor .....

Sense of humor cause he his a conservative

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 09-01-2019, 07:37 PM
I love old stuff

I liked the way that U.S.A. licence plate are looking. Seen for real a few in Romania.
I liked that you could have the town put on it. Here in Romania you have the indicative of the county where the care is registred - this means two letters, except for Bucharest which isn't a county and you have B... up untill '000's, Ilfov County (small county that sorrunds Bucharest) had also B, but now it's IF.
Numbers are standard here. You have to have letters close, like you must have like B82DJL, you can't have B 82 D J L. Funny thing that even we where a communist country, I tink up untill '60's people could legally go to different workshops and ask for the manufacturing of licence plates (probably they presented some offcial documents that show they have the right to ask for that service - I will ask more).
Audiokarma