Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Hooking up two boatanchors!

Well, now that I've got my Gonset GSB-100 tested and transmitting on 10M on a dipole, I'd like to hook it up to a Hammarlund HQ-170A for receive.

I know from what I've read hams back in the day used a dow key relay for antenna switching, which works out because the Gonset has an AC switched transmit plug on the back for this purpose. But it doesn't solve the whole problem here because I have to set the receiver to "transmit" to kill the audio section while I'm transmitting.

In order to switch it over, this is what I have to do now:

1. After adjustment, zero beat, etc, start with the receiver in receive mode and the transmitter to STBY.

2. Switch the receiver to XMIT and switch the antenna to the transmitter

3. Switch the transmitter to MANUAL, transmit whatever I'm gonna say

4. Switch the transmitter back to STBY

5. Switch the antenna

6. Switch the receiver back to receive mode

There has to be an easier way to do this. I will say that with all of the load and plate adjustments and fine tuning required and then zero beating, being a ham in the 50s was hard work!!

These are the diagrams for both the Hammarlund and the Gonset. I assume the "muting contacts" on the Hammarlund are what I need to tap into, but I'm not sure where I'd hook them up on the Gonset......

EDIT: Wrong page on the Gonset. Here's a link to the manual:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/gonset/gsb100/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gsb.JPG (66.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg hq.JPG (41.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

You would use the "Muting Relay Contacts" pins on the HQ-170A to mute the receiver while transmitting. I see that some Dow relays have auxiliary contacts that can be used for this purpose. You would need to use normally closed contacts between pins 3 & 4 of the connector on the receiver and leave the Send/Receive switch in Send. For netting of the transmitter you can switch the Send/Receive switch to Receive which will bypass the contacts on the relay. Just be cautious as there is B+ on these contacts.

I built a little relay box to control the T/R function between my Heathkit Apache and Mosley receiver as I am using a coax switch with 24VDC solenoids. You could do something similar if you don't have a coax relay with auxiliary contacts.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Based on your suggestion, I ordered up a dow key relay on ebay from a few that I had on my watch list. The seller put up a 40% off sale as the long BIN's were ending close. Bonus!

Damn Gonset. It has two dials in the 10 meter band on the same slot, and I was reading the manual last night trying to figure out how to get it on the lower portion of the 10M band. Apparently you have to replace a crystal and add a capacitor, and then it's only CW on the lower portion of 10 meters.

Of course, where the receiver currently CAN transmit is beyond my band privileges

There's a test session at the upcoming Western District Net picnic on Saturday. So what the hell, I'm gonna ham cram and see if I pass. I'm just too close to using this thing that not being able to isn't an option.....