Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2006, 12:12 PM
AK Member

Phillips Astronaut-helmet "Discoverer" score!

This is my first post in the TV forum; I'm more of an audio guy, partly since space is limited here (apartment in Hong Kong) and TVs take up more space, but I have a soft spot for really vintage TVs, and would collect them if I were still back in the States with plenty of space.

That said, I bought a TV today that isn't a REAL oldie, but more of a semi-old oddity: The Phillips "Discoverer", ostensibly made in Italy to celebrate the first launching of the Space Shuttle (according to what I found online). It looks like an astronaut's helmet.

I can't post pics of mine now, but the model is the same one as in this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-Discover...em220028957313

Mine is intact, including the visor-pivot cover missing from that one in the auction. However, the original remote control is missing. They had another Phillips remote that works with it, though, and as rare as they must be, I might still be able to locate a remote from one of a couple of sources here.

I really got this for the unusual looks more than anything else. I've seen a few sold in decorator shops here, usually for around $300 to $500. I got mine for $50 from a wholesale place, so I'm not worried about losing money on it. Except for a little dust and some fingerprints on the visor, it looks to be in excellent shape. Don't know how well it works yet; I'll bring it home in two days and find out then. <gulp!>

Anyone here know this unit? I'm pretty new to TVs except for lurking here sometimes, so am not sure if I got a good one or just an oddity. Searched the site, but didn't find it mentioned. Comments and info welcome.