Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Banned

1950s Vintage Silvertone Stereophonic Suitcase Record Player

Hello Everyone about 3 weeks ago a buddy of mine who used to own a local flea market had several old Suitcase record players that were in various stages of working order from working but changer needing some work, to amplifier being completely dead but record player was still good and everything in between.

Well my friend got out of the flea market business when the landlord that owned the shop he was in decided to hike his rent by almost 50% of what he had originally agreed to have my friend pay for rent (my friend had completely fixed up the building he was renting from the guy by himself and because of that the landlord had agreed to give him cheap rent for the building but apparently the landlord forgot about that agreement and raised the rent so my friend decided to get out of the flea market business and go on the road instead).

So because of that he had an auction to get rid of as much of the stuff he had in his flea market as possible including these record players but they didn't end up selling so he instead gave them to me to use as parts units or whatever I chose to do with them.

One of the units I got from my friend was a 1950s vintage Silvertone Model 263 Stereophonic Suitcase Record Player that still plays well except for the changer mechanism. Anyways I would love to know a little more about this unit as far as how high end this model was and who made the record player unit and who made this record player for Sears.

Pictures posted below.

Thanks,

Levi

P.S. This Record player actually has seperate Bass and Treble controls and has the concentric volume control for the volume/balance control. The amplifier in this unit is actually equipped with 4 tubes, 2 7025s and 2 50C5s and then a selenium rectifier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2903.jpg (112.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2904.jpg (142.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2905.jpg (94.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2906.jpg (84.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2907.jpg (31.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2908.jpg (62.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Banned

So I take it no one on here finds my record player interesting enough to post a comment about it?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Sorry... I clicked on the pics but didnt comment.. Its a neat setup..

Reminds me of an old WARDS one i had back when i was 13, MONO setup, but it did the trick...

SR
Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
So I take it no one on here finds my record player interesting enough to post a comment about it?
I was just trying to figure why it would use two 7025's, when most only had one as a first amp stage.
I must've missed the first entry.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I was just trying to figure why it would use two 7025's, when most only had one as a first amp stage.
I must've missed the first entry.
Well it is a stereophonic unit, my guess is that it used one 7025 as the right and left preamp stage and one for 1st Audio Amp Stage and then the 50C5s as the right and left output tubes? Just a Guess...
Audiokarma
Old 02-25-2017, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
Sorry... I clicked on the pics but didnt comment.. Its a neat setup..

Reminds me of an old WARDS one i had back when i was 13, MONO setup, but it did the trick...

SR
Thanks, I definitely think its an interesting unit as well. The turntable on the unit reminds me of an early VM turntable like one of their 900 series units or one of their early 1200 series units. Just a guess, but not sure as many turntable manufacturers made turtables like the one in this unit.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Thanks, I definitely think its an interesting unit as well. The turntable on the unit reminds me of an early VM turntable like one of their 900 series units or one of their early 1200 series units. Just a guess, but not sure as many turntable manufacturers made turtables like the one in this unit.
The changer is a Crescent design. IDK if Warwick bought out Crescent, as it has a 528 source on it, which is Warwick's source code.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The changer is a Crescent design. IDK if Warwick bought out Crescent, as it has a 528 source on it, which is Warwick's source code.
I take it that Crescent was a good turntable/changer manufacturer, I know a lot of people on here tout that Warwick was a really good company for manufacturing electronics back then so if this was a Warwick designed unit it might be that this was a higher end unit perhaps?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Warwick did buy out Crescent. And Warwick built this changer, a Crescent designed mechanism. A good changer, not junk.