Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You could probably do the same on most early SS sets. Anything too computerized that mutes it's video if it does not see sync will fight attempts to make patterns by feeding in sinewaves. I had one of those HP generators before I had a good TV test pattern generator or scope, and I had a TV set that had audio but no video so the HP was the best way to inject SOMETHING recognizable into the 1st video stage for diagnosis...And it did help me figure out that my video amp worked.

My only counter is a Triplet 7000 that I picked up for $15 at a hamfest a couple years ago. It is a good(enough for me) counter. I also had some other counter for a while that was less accurate (and thus I got rid of it).

My college had some nice HP digital scopes when I was there...If those ever drop below a C-note I may have to grab one.
Oh, so that's what triggers the "no signal" screen on newer SS sets. Those are much too recent for my liking, my newest is a JVC-built Sears from '84. I still need to crack that one open to track down the cause of the "tick tick tick" sound from the HV.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
Yeah, while I was piddling around thinking about it someone else bought it. 220 smackaroonies, looked like brand new with probes. Back to the drawing board.
Oh, somehow I thought you were buying it new.
Remember that the more complicated something is, the more likely something will go wrong.
As far as my experience, unless I was working on digital electronics (and then a logic analyzer is better) two channels on a scope is enough. Two channels allows you to compare the timing of two signals, you really don't do that very often on a TV. On some scopes the second channel is used for the X axis when displaying in the X-Y mode. For TV use a bandwidth in the 5 to 50 MHz is fine.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Oh, so that's what triggers the "no signal" screen on newer SS sets. Those are much too recent for my liking, my newest is a JVC-built Sears from '84. I still need to crack that one open to track down the cause of the "tick tick tick" sound from the HV.
Are you sure JVC built the Sears set?
In the states, Sanyo built most of the Sears products, with a sprinkling of Gold Stars, RCA's and Toshiba.
Maybe the Canadian products are a little different.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Are you sure JVC built the Sears set?
In the states, Sanyo built most of the Sears products, with a sprinkling of Gold Stars, RCA's and Toshiba.
Maybe the Canadian products are a little different.
Oh snap, I mixed up the Japanese suppliers. Yes the set I spoke of is a Sanyo under the hood. However, I briefly had a worn-out 1978 Electrohome with a JVC-built chassis, the first model year they used them. It wasn't built nearly as well as the earlier models. It had vertical interval reference though, I kept the module as a curiosity.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just updating this to say I was patient and found a Tektronix TAS220 (the last of the analog scopes) with the readout function for 85 GBP. With shipping it cost me around 120€ total, plus 10€ for some new probes on Amazon and I'm all set. It seems to work perfectly, though I'm gonna check calibration before using it for anything important.
Audiokarma
Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

My workhorse bench scope is a Tektronix 454. It's old, but does a nice job.