Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Yeah I know a couple of people who had some of those old GM Diesels but they said when they did work they got really good fuel economy somewhere around 35 MPG compared to the 10 MPG that the old 350 V8s at the time got, I believe that the diesel engines that GM was trying to develop in the '70's was GM's attempt/answer to the fuel/oil crisis of the 1970s.
25 to 30 would be a more realistic MPG figure.
One of my buddies and fellow electrician had one.
The high cost of repairs on that pig, far exceeded the savings on fuel.
I always used to jokingly say that I never had to spend $1000 at the pump.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Regarding your post #28, all radio and vintage collectors that start as early as you have the same problem, including myself.
Right now, before you have to go back to school, locate a storage place or another workplace for your hobby. Don't ask me how I know.
Regarding the Philco: That model series, seems to be as common as dirt. All the 41,42- series. I have about five sets of those model years. I wouldn't spend money on any of them.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Regarding your post #28, all radio and vintage collectors that start as early as you have the same problem, including myself.
Right now, before you have to go back to school, locate a storage place or another workplace for your hobby. Don't ask me how I know.
Regarding the Philco: That model series, seems to be as common as dirt. All the 41,42- series. I have about five sets of those model years. I wouldn't spend money on any of them.
So the Philco I just picked up and that is the source of this thread, you're saying isn't actually worth restoring? That's interesting, I paid $25 and so far haven't put any money into it yet (most of the work I've put into the unit so far was just manual labor and parts I had laying around like the dial string which right now isn't working because its not grabbing with the tuning knob to turn the tuner assembly) and it still needs new capacitors which I know not what value they are as I can't see their value very easily and I do have some capacitors laying around but not sure if they're the right values that I need, as for the filter caps they look like they are fairly recent replacements (within the past 35 years I'd say as they are still the large cardboard tubular electrolytics but aren't the originals and they are pretty common values 8/8 @ 450 and 16 @ 450.) Anyways the cabinet is still in pretty good shape yet (no gouges or scratches or water damage) the only thing that's really "bad" on the cabinet is like I said the bezel is cracked and warped but I'm not sure if it would be worth getting a replacement for it or not seeing as the replicas that Radio Daze has are $30 a pop. So how much would be too much to sink into this Philco?

Also I have been working out a deal with a local flea market owner who wants me to work in his shop as his in-house repair man because he sells records and record players and he wants me to be able to service any record players or radios he might acquire for his shop/booth and in return I would be able to also work on anything I'm working on and sell them in his booth and make some money from that. So I do have a plan in the works for something like that but its kind of slow because the gentleman I'm referring to has been working on fixing up the building he's in himself (as the building had originally before he got it had a caved in ceiling from a bursted water line that had froze during the winter and the owner of the building was letting him fix it up how ever he wanted in exchange for real cheap rent) and he's not been able to get to the area I would be occupying yet because he's been busy trying to help some booth-renters get moved in and set up and what not, and my mom isn't a very patient person and thinks that just because I haven't been able to do anything with getting my radios sold yet that it means that they need to just be thrown out because she thinks they're "cluttering my place up" even though you can walk in myt place just fine (most true hoarders you can't walk in their houses and my place you can walk in it just fine.)
Anyways I think I'm going to take some of my radios that I had gotten going already and take them to my buddy down at the flea market and see if he would be interested in trying to sell them for me.

Last edited by Captainclock; 07-30-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
So the Philco I just picked up and that is the source of this thread, you're saying isn't actually worth restoring? That's interesting, I paid $25 and so far haven't put any money into it yet (most of the work I've put into the unit so far was just manual labor and parts I had laying around like the dial string which right now isn't working because its not grabbing with the tuning knob to turn the tuner assembly) and it still needs new capacitors which I know not what value they are as I can't see their value very easily and I do have some capacitors laying around but not sure if they're the right values that I need, as for the filter caps they look like they are fairly recent replacements (within the past 35 years I'd say as they are still the large cardboard tubular electrolytics but aren't the originals and they are pretty common values 8/8 @ 450 and 16 @ 450.) Anyways the cabinet is still in pretty good shape yet (no gouges or scratches or water damage) the only thing that's really "bad" on the cabinet is like I said the bezel is cracked and warped but I'm not sure if it would be worth getting a replacement for it or not seeing as the replicas that Radio Daze has are $30 a pop. So how much would be too much to sink into this Philco?
Everone has their likes and dislikes. I personally don't like push buttons and other gimmicks. Most of my radio collector buddies feel the same way.
We were discussing that issue at the last radio meet.
Don't mind me! "One man's meat is another man's poison."
Old 07-30-2015, 02:36 PM
M is for Memory

I don't know your exact circumstances, but if your over 18 and your Mom does not own your home I'd tell her to mind her own business and change my locks (I might drop the least liked 1/5 to 1/3 of my collection to try and get her off my case first).
At some point you have to stop letting your folks call the shots in your life....advise is one thing, demands/pestering is another.

As to the smell issue, old women can develop sensitive and picky noses. Some friend's grand parents lived next door to me when I was a teen. The whole place reeked of stinky potpourri. We would play video games in a room and their grandma started complaining that it stunk in there. I never noticed a stink of any kind (the lousy potpourii reek decreased, but that was it). My friends did not stink, and my parents and friends would have told me if I stunk, so the only conclusion I can think of is that their grandma just did not like the natural smell of clean teenagers....
If the dresser reeks then stop storing your clothes in it.

If you are younger the following may better apply.

I'd probably in your shoes rank sets based on how much I like them, and sell off a fifth to a third of them physical volume wise (if things are moving too slow for your mom come up with a practical time table/detailed plan and tell them about it to get them off your back), and stand my ground. Don't get more until you have paired down to that, and focus on what you have (that will help build good faith). Also try to keep the space they consume and number fairly constant after pairing down (I try to sell about as much as I buy and constantly reevaluate which are keepers).
I'd explain to her that most of my sets sell for 40$ or more a piece (point out the higher valued sets more) unrestored and say that you would no sooner throw out your sets than she would throw away 50$ bills....There are antique radio collecting price guides in print, GET one beforehand to prove your argument (if she doubts you pull it out and look stuff up). Antique radios go up in value with time and are an investment. Also explain to her that this collection is a hobby that is a corner stone of who you are, and is of similar happiness value to a pet or a good girlfriend, and is something that you could never completely part with without great emotional pain that if she truly loves you she will not put you through that. If she has a collection (glass ware, dolls, figurines, etc.) say you won't listen until she throws her collection out, if I can't have a collection then you can't either, etc. If you may be going to college soon explain that working on these radios are teaching you fundamentals that will aid you in pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering and her messing with this could mess up your future.

Sometimes you can come up with good logical persuasive arguments that can allow you to calmly reason your folks into agreement with you (think it over carefully beforehand, and be ready for all expected responses, and quick/well witted in response to crazy unexpected ones). If no amount of calm logical debate results in a fair compromise sometimes you just have to get into a shouting match, and not back down from your position.....Sometimes parents get crazy stuck on a idea that they should not impose on their kids, and the only way to stop them is to stand your ground and or threaten to leave them or become destructive or a problem if they keep going after what you care about (would they rather have an addict, thug, daredevil, someone who permanently hates them, pervert, etc. or someone nice who stays out of trouble and collects antique radios?)....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2015, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I don't know your exact circumstances, but if your over 18 and your Mom does not own your home I'd tell her to mind her own business and change my locks (I might drop the least liked 1/5 to 1/3 of my collection to try and get her off my case first).
At some point you have to stop letting your folks call the shots in your life....advise is one thing, demands/pestering is another.

As to the smell issue, old women can develop sensitive and picky noses. Some friend's grand parents lived next door to me when I was a teen. The whole place reeked of stinky potpourri. We would play video games in a room and their grandma started complaining that it stunk in there. I never noticed a stink of any kind (the lousy potpourii reek decreased, but that was it). My friends did not stink, and my parents and friends would have told me if I stunk, so the only conclusion I can think of is that their grandma just did not like the natural smell of clean teenagers....
If the dresser reeks then stop storing your clothes in it.

If you are younger the following may better apply.

I'd probably in your shoes rank sets based on how much I like them, and sell off a fifth to a third of them physical volume wise (if things are moving too slow for your mom come up with a practical time table/detailed plan and tell them about it to get them off your back), and stand my ground. Don't get more until you have paired down to that, and focus on what you have (that will help build good faith). Also try to keep the space they consume and number fairly constant after pairing down (I try to sell about as much as I buy and constantly reevaluate which are keepers).
I'd explain to her that most of my sets sell for 40$ or more a piece (point out the higher valued sets more) unrestored and say that you would no sooner throw out your sets than she would throw away 50$ bills....There are antique radio collecting price guides in print, GET one beforehand to prove your argument (if she doubts you pull it out and look stuff up). Antique radios go up in value with time and are an investment. Also explain to her that this collection is a hobby that is a corner stone of who you are, and is of similar happiness value to a pet or a good girlfriend, and is something that you could never completely part with without great emotional pain that if she truly loves you she will not put you through that. If she has a collection (glass ware, dolls, figurines, etc.) say you won't listen until she throws her collection out, if I can't have a collection then you can't either, etc. If you may be going to college soon explain that working on these radios are teaching you fundamentals that will aid you in pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering and her messing with this could mess up your future.

Sometimes you can come up with good logical persuasive arguments that can allow you to calmly reason your folks into agreement with you (think it over carefully beforehand, and be ready for all expected responses, and quick/well witted in response to crazy unexpected ones). If no amount of calm logical debate results in a fair compromise sometimes you just have to get into a shouting match, and not back down from your position.....Sometimes parents get crazy stuck on a idea that they should not impose on their kids, and the only way to stop them is to stand your ground and or threaten to leave them or become destructive or a problem if they keep going after what you care about (would they rather have an addict, thug, daredevil, someone who permanently hates them, pervert, etc. or someone nice who stays out of trouble and collects antique radios?)....

I'll see if that would work. I am actually currently in college and going for a computer information technology degree (or computer repair degree for short) and I think that repairing these old radios helps me to understand electronics (and computers) and how they work overall
as for the smell I have never smelled any sort of smell in the house that one might describe as "offensive", I live in an old house with a housemate and the part of the house I live in used to be an old garage years ago and garages have a distinctive musty smell that doesn't go away even if you build it in as part of the house so my mom shouldn't expect the house to smell like roses (which apparently she does expect it to smell like roses), anyways I did already get rid of almost 6 junk radios that couldn't be fixed anymore by taking them to an electronics recycler, and then I took 3 radios that I had gotten going and two record players that I fixed up, I took them to a local flea market and the guy there is going to sell them for me I set the price on the radios for $50 a piece as a starting price and the columbia Stereophonic record player I put a price of $40 dollars on and then I put a price of $25 on an old Voice of Music Institutional (School) record player.

So I'm definitely down quite a bit from where I once was radio and record player wise.

Last edited by Captainclock; 07-30-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 PM
M is for Memory

When I can't fix something tube I never toss it out, I sell it with not working written on the price tag...If the cosmetics are shot, then sometimes thoroughly I strip it for parts.

Sounds like things will workout for you...Good luck.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
When I can't fix something tube I never toss it out, I sell it with not working written on the price tag...If the cosmetics are shot, then sometimes thoroughly I strip it for parts.

Sounds like things will workout for you...Good luck.
Well what would be the purpose of selling a non working piece of tube equipment, just wondering.
Anyways I do intend to try and stand my ground with the other radios, especially the old Magnavox console I have in the basement (which isn't musty or moldy smelling) it is functioning perfectly it just needs a multiplexer adaptor for FM Stereo audio, and a new pickup and idler tire for the turntable and it will be up and running properly. I was able to find some Old Stock RCA Grey Plate 6BQ5s for the amplifier on the old Magnavox Console of mine so it sings like new again the RCA 6BQ5s had very low hours on them as they seem to be like new yet (I had actually found 3 of the RCA Grey Plate 6BQ5s in an old coffee can of tubes that someone gave me) I also found a couple of GE made Thomas Labeled 6V6GT tubes that were like new (they came out of an old Thomas Organ amplifier.)

I've actually got an old Grundig Console that I can't figure out why there's still a loud hum to it even though I replaced the old filter caps with new ones and the correct wiring of the capacitors were observed and everything, I just can't figure out for the life of me why it still wants to hum like mad even after it was recapped, and currently its kind of taking up space in the basement (its actually one of the consoles my mom is complaining about because she thinks its taking up too much room in my basement) anyways I wish I could get the hum to go away because then I would basically have the radio fixed and could then re-sell it (I'm not going to bother with replacing the coupling caps in the radio because they are way too tricky to replace in those old German radios as its really easy to mess something up in them electronically because of how complicated they are.)

Last edited by Captainclock; 07-30-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Motorola Minion

After reading through this thread, I was reminded of what I scrapped out in the early years for the benefit of keeping in good standing with my folks. Tom is right on about this. I confirmed it only yesterday after picking up three antique radios CL from a 19 year-old with a misunderstanding mom. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=264894

Matter Of Fact - I see two Philco 42-380 radios on local CL right now that have been there for weeks. I agree that recapping, then buying a repro-bezel, restoring finish etc only to sell it for $150 as a working-but-common set is generally a waste of time for any of us. The speaker and knobs alone are worth $40 if in good shape, since these were used on much rarer, even TOTL Philcos. Most restorers know this and will buy it non-working just for parts.

While most any 30s-40s Philco radio is a decent receiver and sounds great when re-capped, a similar Zenith console (assuming a 6X5 or 7Y4 rectifier tube has not smoked the power trans) would be a better use of much less restoration effort. These often bring more money than Philco radios.

Your Magnavox consoles will generate interest if you get them recapped and spinning again since record players seem to be regaining popularity and Magnavox still commands respect in the vinyl community. The fact it has tubes versus an Astrosonic adds value for sure. The EV26 cartridge just needs a $9 stylus and good cleaning. If you can get a good idler, that will save $$$ like you say. A fairly new site, http://vintagehifi.net/ bears this out.

Lastly, the Grundig may have a partially open selenium rectifier in the full-wave bridge. It seems very odd to have a hum after all caps are changed but a bad rectifier is overlooked, as is excessive current draw, reducing the electrolytic's smoothing action.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-10-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
After reading through this thread, I was reminded of what I scrapped out in the early years for the benefit of keeping in good standing with my folks. Tom is right on about this. I confirmed it only yesterday after picking up three antique radios CL from a 19 year-old with a misunderstanding mom. {insert VK thread}

Matter Of Fact - I see two Philco 42-380 radios on local CL right now that have been there for weeks. I agree that recapping, then buying a repro-bezel, restoring finish etc only to sell it for $150 as a working-but-common set is generally a waste of time for any of us. The speaker and knobs alone are worth $40 if in good shape, since these were used on much rarer, even TOTL Philcos. Most restorers know this and will buy it non-working just for parts.

While most any 30s-40s Philco radio is a decent receiver and sounds great when re-capped, a similar Zenith console (assuming a 6X5 or 7Y4 rectifier tube has not smoked the power trans) would be a better use of much less restoration effort. These often bring more money than Philco radios.

Your Magnavox consoles will generate interest if you get them recapped and spinning again since record players seem to be regaining popularity and Magnavox still commands respect in the vinyl community. The fact it has tubes versus an Astrosonic adds value for sure. The EV26 cartridge just needs a $9 stylus and good cleaning. If you can get a good idler, that will save $$$ like you say. A fairly new site, http://vintagehifi.net/ bears this out.

Lastly, the Grundig may have a partially open selenium rectifier in the full-wave bridge. It seems very odd to have a hum after all caps are changed but a bad rectifier is overlooked, as is excessive current draw, reducing the electrolytic's smoothing action.
I definitely will see about getting that Magnavox up and running for sure because it will probably like you said get more attention because of it being a tube powered unit and having an original Collaro made Micromatic changer (which from what I was told were built like tanks and have a very good changer mechanism) I actually have a parts record player coming in from dieseljeep on here so I should be able to use parts from that to get the turntable on my Magnavox up and running.
I was going to try replacing the old Selenium Rectifier in that old Grundig but wasn't sure what to use in place of it (it has four wire leads going to 4 terminals which are marked +,-,~,~) and its kind of a complicated radio to work on as they don't give you much wire lead to work with when replacing things like the power supply caps and the Selenium rectifier.
As for the old philco radio I wish someone would of told me sooner before I would of went ahead and bought the unit (I did have a thread posted about it here previously before this one) but no one spoke up about the radio not being worth my time, otherwise I wouldn't of bought it and just fixed the guy's record player and just passed on the radio.
Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2015, 09:58 PM
M is for Memory

Some people will buy a non-working tube radio for looks/as a conversation piece. Sometimes a fellow collector who is a better tech or knows a trick you don't will buy your failed project and get it working right......Either way selling it non-working exponentially increases the chances it will live on/again over just recycling it.

As for the rectifier i the Grundig....Google "Bridge rectifier", or "diode bridge" they make single piece modern ones labeled the same, or you could just wire up four conventional diodes and have the same thing....

If I knew you wanted to flip the Philco I'd probably told you to think twice since most pre-HiFi consoles are hard to sell RESTORED at the low prices most ask for un-restored examples.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some people will buy a non-working tube radio for looks/as a conversation piece. Sometimes a fellow collector who is a better tech or knows a trick you don't will buy your failed project and get it working right......Either way selling it non-working exponentially increases the chances it will live on/again over just recycling it.

As for the rectifier i the Grundig....Google "Bridge rectifier", or "diode bridge" they make single piece modern ones labeled the same, or you could just wire up four conventional diodes and have the same thing....

If I knew you wanted to flip the Philco I'd probably told you to think twice since most pre-HiFi consoles are hard to sell RESTORED at the low prices most ask for un-restored examples.
I see. Well Its too late now, I've already bought it so I guess I could just post it on Barter town and see if someone else on here might want it to fiddle around with because I'm kind of stumpped on it as far as trying to figure out why the dial string I just had going is no longer wanting to work, and I even tried restringing it again and still no luck so I really just don't know.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Banned

Well I restrung the tuner string yet again on this old philco and this time I was sucessful at getting it going, all I did was add a 3rd turn to the tuning knob and voila! It works!

So now all I need to do is recap the radio and fix the dial glass and I'll be good to go hopefully.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well I restrung the tuner string yet again on this old philco and this time I was sucessful at getting it going, all I did was add a 3rd turn to the tuning knob and voila! It works!

So now all I need to do is recap the radio and fix the dial glass and I'll be good to go hopefully.
As I mentioned in earlier postings, a lot of times, you have to try a few different time to get these things right. I don't know of any tech that was crazy about dial cord restringing.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
As I mentioned in earlier postings, a lot of times, you have to try a few different time to get these things right. I don't know of any tech that was crazy about dial cord restringing.
Yeah, I'm definitely not too crazy about it that's for sure.

So yeah, I just need to get this radio recapped and the dial glass fixed up and that should straighten things out for this radio (I guess I'll just leave the damaged bezel in place and maybe let someone else monkey with replacing that if they want to, once I get this thing up and running electronically and sold to an interested party.
Audiokarma