Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find Sandy! Its only been lately that i've had a new appreciation for these type of radio's as before i mainly leaned towards the older radio's from mid 50's and earlier. I now have several of these newer radio's in my collection.
-Tony
Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by grimer; 05-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
MCM Electronics used to have a selection of replacement antennas. You may want to check with them.
Thanks for the Info. Does anyone know the Panasonic part number for the FM antenna?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 AM
AK Member

I got a National Panasonic RF 5000 and I would like to get a service manual so I can
disassemble it and clean the push buttons. Perhaps I should not touch it
as it works.
Where can I get a service manual?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got my copy off of The Boat Anchors Manual Archive (BAMA) Site, you have to download a plugin for your computer. I think it is called lizardtech djvu file viewer. but it is free. It has always worked well for me,
As for disassembling the radio, it is very complicated to remove the chassis from the case. about 4 times harder than a trans-oceanic 7000, the onboard ac power supply and connector cable is wedged around some fiberboard covers that are hard to manipulate to get to the plug-in connectors. After you get the chassis out of the case, you remove the dial to access the pushbutton contacts and the rubber bumpers that cause some bands to drop out of service. The dial is held on by 4 eyeglasses sized screws at the corners, after they are removed you can slide the dial out to one side without removing the dial strings. If this description doesn't scare you. Then repairing a rf-5000/a can be done. after you get the chassis out of the case then 1/2 of the hard part is done. Getting it all back together is the final half of the hard part. Logan
Audiokarma
Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I love old stuff

The Short Wave is diveded in 7! Cool And it haves Long Waves too! My RF-2800B dosen't haves Long Waves!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
I love that radio, i bought one from a Nashville Radio Club member about 9 months ago, mine had the same problems. The problem was the band selector switches are supposed to have a rubber bumper which dampens them when they pop back up after you select another band or the off switch. well after 30+ years they squish, degrade or fall out. then the switch travels too far upward and no longer make contact to allow the next band to work. if you are having trouble on say, sw4 gently barely press the button of sw5 or sw6 and see if that band comes back to life it could be all the way up to the fm button. I used small pieces of surgical rubber tubing to replace the bumpers.
Mr. Fixer is right about this being a common switch problem. With mine the bumpers had crushed and turned rock hard. It wasn't hard to chip them off. Rather than individual dampers on each switch it is just as easy to run a single long strip of heavy foam across the shelf or ridge they all contact. Use the heavy neoprene type in an appropriate thickness. Piano felt might be a good choice here too.

Even with the fixes and replacement of several transistors in the output stage, I am not as impressed with the sound of my 5000 as the size had me hoping for. Mine also suffers from a lot of local FM breakthrough in the upper SW ranges.

Its pretty sensitive though on all bands and the loop SW antenna seems to work pretty well.

Regards,
David