Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic PV 1530 Black lines in playback

Hi
I bought a Panasonic PV 1530 with remote for $15 at Goodwill
it works but has black lines in playback mostly on white background or white letters

could it be the idler tire it does look like it's cracking but before I put any money in it i'm wondering if it's
the caps in the power supply?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2694.jpg (62.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2695.jpg (68.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2693.jpg (61.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2696.jpg (80.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Old TVs are better!

Looks more like a dirty or bad heads. Take off the top, and clean the drum, rollers, audio/tracking head, guides, with head cleaner and a head cleaner swab. Also check the tracking control. It's possible the tape path is out of alignment also. Idler tires usually slip causing the tape to tangle, and causing the tape to get stuck in the machine. If the idler tire(s) are cracked, yes, they need to be replaced as well. Also the tension band could be worn, causing poor tape tension. It's usually a thin copper strip with felt on the tape supply post, and is adjustable. Also check the condition of the belt(s). They may be lose or out of shape due to long storage. It's a real common symptom on all makes of VCRs. So many people are just giving away their VCRs, that it might be worth just looking for one that works good. I have 2 of them that I picked up absolutely free that work perfect off Craigslist.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm83 View Post
Hi
I bought a Panasonic PV 1530 with remote for $15 at Goodwill
it works but has black lines in playback mostly on white background or white letters

could it be the idler tire it does look like it's cracking but before I put any money in it i'm wondering if it's
the caps in the power supply?
That's a real early model. Granted, it's built better than the newer models, but it might be a little tricky getting replacement parts for it.
There should be a date on the model label. It must be close to thirty years old.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
Looks more like a dirty or bad heads.
That's what it looks like to me, too. Most likely worn out heads since the picture is there otherwise. Used to get my replacement upper cylinders (heads) from ASTI Magnetics. Good quality at less than half the OEM price, back in the '90s when people would pay for new heads on their old VCR.

"377"... This is the one for the PV-1530. Don't know if they actually have these in stock anymore.

http://www.astimag.com/asti_products...AstiNumber=377
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

ok how hard is it to remove the head I know it has to be unsoldered
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Unsolder the upper cylinder wires or pins through pads on the circuit board whatever it has, then remove the two screws that hold it to the center hub and lift it off. Make note how it is oriented on the hub, should be marked somehow, because the heads are at different azimuth angles and it won't work right if they are 180° off.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 02-26-2014 at 09:59 PM.