Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Stuck in the past!

15" TFT Lcd tv/monitor model 17490-TOO no audio

My daughter wants to use this tv that we found curbside but the sound doesn't work. Everything else checked out. Could this be a loose part/cap? Where do I start?

Last edited by pac.attack76; 07-14-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Usually on those type of monitors, it's just a simple amplifier circuit between the input and the speakers. Just pop the back off and have a look around.

Just remember, if you are going to use a VGA TV tuner, the sound comes on a separate line anyway, so you could always just use a set of amplified PC speakers or something for your sound. It would probably sound worlds better than the 1/2" squeakers that are probably in that monitor
Old 01-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
Usually on those type of monitors, it's just a simple amplifier circuit between the input and the speakers. Just pop the back off and have a look around.

Just remember, if you are going to use a VGA TV tuner, the sound comes on a separate line anyway, so you could always just use a set of amplified PC speakers or something for your sound. It would probably sound worlds better than the 1/2" squeakers that are probably in that monitor
I'll poke around in there tomorrow. No chance of a vga tuner. It'll just be for her dvd player. Too bad this thing doesn't have headphone jack.

Last edited by pac.attack76; 01-15-2016 at 03:56 PM. Reason: good old auto correct.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Stuck in the past!

Here's some inside shots. Can't tell anything so far. Squeakers are actually 4 ohm 3 watts each. Go figure. Not sure what's going on with this now.

Last edited by pac.attack76; 07-14-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:58 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Did you try all the basics, such as connecting an external A/V source and, while viewing it, checking its sound? Also, did you have a good over-the-air picture on the internal tuner but no sound at that time?

Other steps include tracing wiring and components back from the speakers (and forward from the audio input jacks) to narrow down possible trouble locations. Look up IC part numbers online to see if one of the chips is for audio, then get a data sheet for it and put a scope on the input and output pins. None of this is super-simple, but there is no easy way to check it. (The easy plan is to use separate amplified speakers with the DVD player as already suggested.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 01-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Stuck in the past!

I already tried all that. No scope either. Wish I had amplified speakers. I'm just gonna let her use a 27" crt set I have in storage. It's got component, composite, and svideo. Should do just fine.