Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic Viera TH42PX75U HDMI issue(s)

Panasonic Viera TH42PX75U

I came across this unit on local Craigslist. The price was right, and reviews were very encouraging. My goal was to use it for my internet media streaming, and dvd watching needs. Previous owner plugged it in with the aerial tv antena to show me that it worked - and it did - to that extent.

This is where my trouble begun.

I have a pretty decent PC with a solid video gaming card, but when I plugged it in it came back with black screen, although tv was recognized. Tried all kinds of settings on both my PC and TV, resets, still nothing.

Tried the same with PC laptop in my possession - no output!

I also have an older MacMini. When I plugged that in through DVI to HDMI cable I was able to see my desktop on the TV. I even watched Netflix...

Even little dinky SD Card reader shows my pictures!

Well, maybe I was asking for too much. I decided to get a a simple DVD player (went with Sony with good reviews) and try it like that. No picture. (DVD player works fine when connected to my computer monitor).

I tried three different HDMI cables. Obviously a number of sources, and I have no idea what is going on!

Why would TV display signal from my mac but not anything else?

Any ideas? Suggestions? This is really frustrating, not to mention time consuming.

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:31 PM
Administrator

I'm assuming you got the remote and are able to select the inputs? Beyond that I have no idea.

I have the 50 in version of this set and it's pretty straightforward as to connections.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Old TVs are better!

Connections probably are not your problem, it's how you set the resolution. I am far from an expert at setting up dual displays, and it took me over an hour to figure it out. First off you must clone the displays. I have a 50 inch Panasonic Viera Model TH-50PX80U plasma (2008 model). I had a quite a time trying to figure out how to get the picture sized right for both the 16X9 Acer monitor and my TV. I ended up with using 1360 X 768 resolution for both the monitor and TV. The image on the TV will be small unless you do the zoom feature, and then it fills out the screen completely. You also might try using a program called display fusion to set up your computer to TV as well. https://www.displayfusion.com Also I run a separate audio cable to the TV and use the HDMI only for the video. I also have no idea of why a standard Sony DVD player would not work with the TV. Just make sure you using the proper input. ex: HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, etc.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Viera Viera

My remote works fine, and I have access to all of the menus (that are accessible - apparently some of them become accessible only if the proper signal is detected...).
I am gonna try DispalyFusion and cloning rather than extending....

Thank you!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Old TVs are better!

You definitely have to clone the displays. When I set mine on extended display I ended up with only the wallpaper image on the monitor and all the functions of the computer on the TV. You can also change the settings to reverse the images as well. It seems to me I also ended up with blank, (black screen) on one or the others depending on the resolution that it was set at. Display fusion has a paid version, however, you do not need it, unless you want fancy wallpaper images, and some added features that you probably don't need. Display Fusion though can be kind of tricky, just try to use the resolution settings, and clone it. (Just a note of humor, at work, someone kept playing with the managers display settings and turning the image upside down. He had no idea of how to solve the problem, so I was the one who had to straighten it out. Tricky to solve, as if things are upside down, move the mouse up, arrow moves down, right goes left and left goes right. Who ever did the prank, well, it wasn't me.
Audiokarma