Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fix it or replace it?

So, several months ago I was at the junkyard when I came upon an old Econoline motor home. I sort of felt bad about it being junked, and when I looked around inside it, I found its vintage stereo just hanging out of the dash by the wires. When I figured out it was an 8 track player, I got it.

Hooked it up to my 12V transformer and a couple of stereo speakers, and it worked, both as a radio and a tape player. I hooked it up to four stereo speakers and it makes a decent sound, plus it made me dig out my 8 track collection and start listening to them again.

Fast forward to last night: I was listening to Led Zeppelin when suddenly the deck fell silent. It appears that the drive belt (which was kind of suspect to begin with) broke. So, my question is: is it worth fixing this tape player? Or just try to find a replacement unit, maybe one that didn't have quite as rough a life as this one...or is it worth it to try and open this radio up to see if belt replacement is possible?

I kind of like having a car stereo as the house stereo, I live in a smaller place now and its convenient. What are peoples' thoughts?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Depends what brand it is. If it was a higher quality one like a Pioneer, then I would fix it. Belts are not expensive.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:12 PM
M is for Memory

If it preformed to your satisfaction, then I'd say go for new belts.

At this point in their lives most 8-track decks have had the belts fail or are soon going to, and if they sit too long after failure they turn to gunk that becomes a royal bear to clean up/out.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Technohippie

Belt isn't a big deal, in terms of cost or work involved. If you have a 8 track collection that still plays, go for it.

Most 8-track tapes I have seen in the last few years are pretty deteriorated. Broken at the splice, seized up on the spool, or the foam pressure pad turned to goo.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2IXK View Post
Belt isn't a big deal, in terms of cost or work involved. If you have a 8 track collection that still plays, go for it.

Most 8-track tapes I have seen in the last few years are pretty deteriorated. Broken at the splice, seized up on the spool, or the foam pressure pad turned to goo.
The splices can be fixed with adhesive tape or super glue, and new foam pads are cheap on ebay. One can sometimes unseize them too with some cunning.

Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I believe, at one point, most brands of 8 track players were made by Motorola, who were the only ones who knew how to make a capstan surface that wouldn't slip on the lubricated tape.

Can you find an EIA code to identify the maker?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

The deck is an ARA model 6703169. The connectors appear to be identical to what Ford used during that era, so it appears to be an aftermarket set designed for Ford or even something manufactured for Ford and installed at the factory?

Anyway, I disassembled the unit today and much to my surprise the belt is not broken. In fact, it even plays tapes again, although when I change tracks about once for every 10 times I can get the deck to stop, but then can manually restart it. Some tapes I noticed had played slow and the belt feels loose...A replacement is in order, but would just a worn belt cause these symptoms?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Sure, The track switching often used the spinning flywheel to move the head. That put extra load on the flywheel, if the belt was marginal just for listening, then changing tracks could stop it. As long as the friction spot on the capstan is still in good shape, get a belt. You may have to get it from one of those places where you measure it and they put it together for you.... Sometimes you can't get originals.... I need one for my Akai cassette deck I have not been able to find a source for.... Dual capstan reversible so it will be a pain to measure it.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:03 PM
M is for Memory

Some decks had switches to 'auto stop' at the end of track 4. If yours stops only when switching from 4 to 1 then it may be that your auto stop switch was dirty and nonfunctional when you first got it and has fixed it's self with use.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler
Depends what brand it is. If it was a higher quality one like a Pioneer, then I would fix it. Belts are not expensive.
YEs if you can fix it easily then do it buddy!!!

DONT GIVE UP HOPE!!!

Good luck
Audiokarma