Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Banned

32" LCD HDTV spotted outside of a Goodwill Dropbox...

Hello everyone today I was visiting the local grocery store so I could visit my bank's ATM which is just outside the store, which the store also has a Goodwill dropbox outside of it as well and when I drove by I noticed that the outside of the Goodwill dropbox there was a 32" LCD HDTV sitting outside of the dropbox and I was wondering if since Goodwill doesn't take TVs anymore if it would be ok for me to pickup that TV and take it home with me or not. It would definitely save the TV from going to the landfill or wherever Goodwill takes the TVs that are donated to them through their dropboxes that they aren't willing to take anymore.

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-26-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:31 PM
Banned

Well I picked up the TV, it was actually a 40" and it was a Sony Bravia which is one of the higher end if not the highest end HDTVs ever made, and I got it home and it turned out that the screen was busted on it.

So here's the biggest question, how much would one expect to pay for a new screen for a 40" Sony Bravia HDTV?
I have bought, and installed new LCD Screens before (my previous experience was with an old Gateway LCD monitor that had a bad LCD Screen and I remember buying the screen for it on ebay for about $20 plus shipping.)
Old 10-26-2015, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think goodwill doesn't take CRT TV's anymore... I'm kinda wondering if it was OK for you to take that TV...

Busted screen... honestly to replace the panel it's getting cheaper to just buy a new TV.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Our Goodwill donation bins have video surveillance - the hall of shame videos are hilarious - some folks actually tryhing on clothes before walking off with them, and one lady knocked out cold by an exercise machine she was dragging off.

You may find yourself on the evening news.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 10-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
I think goodwill doesn't take CRT TV's anymore... I'm kinda wondering if it was OK for you to take that TV...

Busted screen... honestly to replace the panel it's getting cheaper to just buy a new TV.
Our goodwills don't take TVs anymore period, so I don't think this was necessarily wrong and if it was I could just take it back in the middle of the night. nobody asked any questions so yeah.

As far as repairing the busted screen goes, I'm not sure how worth it or not it would be because I couldn't even find any results on ebay for new screen assemblies for the particular model of TV I have here which is a Sony Bravia Model KDL-40V2500.

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-26-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Our Goodwill donation bins have video surveillance - the hall of shame videos are hilarious - some folks actually tryhing on clothes before walking off with them, and one lady knocked out cold by an exercise machine she was dragging off.

You may find yourself on the evening news.
Our goodwill bins don't have video cameras, so yeah, and our goodwills don't take any TVs period, not even LCDs, and I think it has to do with the fact that most of the LCD TVs that were donated were usually almost always broken, because people thought that goodwill would just recycle their broken tvs for them (which in most cases they didn't). I doubt I'll find myself on the evening news, considering that Goodwill would probably consider it a good thing that people take the tvs off their hands since they don't take them anymore.

Besides last I checked it was only INSIDE the drop box that's considered stealing from (the signs ususally say "no tresspassing INSIDE these premises, meaning inside the box) considering that putting stuff outside the drop boxes is considered dumping and is illegal and technically because of that anything OUTSIDE the dropbox is free game because it would be proverbial equivalent to picking through someone's trash for a TV or a VCR, like you guys on here do all the time...

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-26-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well if you can't find a panel, not even through google, see if the power supply and other boards are worth something and try to sell them.

Otherwise, salvage useful stuff off the boards like capacitors and scrap the rest.

EDIT: you can also put in the panel model# on eBay and google and see if you get results that way.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well if you can't find a panel, not even through google, see if the power supply and other boards are worth something and try to sell them.

Otherwise, salvage useful stuff off the boards like capacitors and scrap the rest.

EDIT: you can also put in the panel model# on eBay and google and see if you get results that way.
Well I already took the TV back over to the Goodwill dropbox because I had a couple of people in this thread including you, questioning whether or not a TV this new (broken or not) would of still been able to of been sold by Goodwill (even though last I checked Goodwill isn't taking TVs of anykind period and it was supposed to be a nationwide policy for Goodwill).
Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Probably the right thing to do just in case.

If anything consider it good karma. Even if goodwill doesn't take it, someone will, and they might have an actual need for it or the money they get from selling it.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Probably the right thing to do just in case.

If anything consider it good karma. Even if goodwill doesn't take it, someone will, and they might have an actual need for it or the money they get from selling it.
More than likely, but I am still going to go back for the old Trinitron set I saw there, because I know that CRT tvs for sure are something that Goodwill isn't going to take and I think it would definitely would make a good gaming TV for my old school video games like my NES and SNES and N64 video Game consoles if anything.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2015, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still don't see any justification why you took something that was not yours in the first place. Why did you feel entitled? What makes you so special?

And why do you think the Sony should be yours and not someone else's? It's still theft no matter how you try to explain it.

Grow up and learn to be responsible.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I still don't see any justification why you took something that was not yours in the first place. Why did you feel entitled? What makes you so special?

And why do you think the Sony should be yours and not someone else's? It's still theft no matter how you try to explain it.

Grow up and learn to be responsible.

Not when its an item that they don't even take anymore! DID YOU NOT READ WHAT I SAID?!
I said that Goodwill has a nationwide policy now in effect that they absolutely will NOT take TVs of any kind anymore, not LCDs not CRTs, NOTHING! So its not stealing when its an item they aren't even going to take in the first place! The previous owner gave up their ownership of the TV the moment they dumped their TV off on the outside of that Goodwill Dropbox, and since it was outside of the dropbox and not inside of it, it was technically dumped there, which means that it neither belongs to goodwill and neither to the previous owner, which by the way, if you've ever seen the outside of a goodwill dropbox you'll see a sign posted plain as day that says "Dumping is illegal, anyone caught dumping outside of this box will be fined!" so technically taking anything OUTSIDE of the dropbox is no different than picking through someone's trash. So I guess I could say using your line of reasoning that if someone caught you or someone else on here digging through someone's trash on trash day to save an old TV from being trashed by the garbage man, one could call the police on you or anyone else on here and say that you were stealing from that person and face jailtime because the way you're reasoning it out is that if someone is dumping or trashing something its still theirs and that you have no right to take it because its considered stealing, even though you know the item isn't going to be used anymore and its just going to the landfill. So yeah, I really don't see your line of reasoning and how it works considering that you and other people on here do the same exact thing all the time by picking through people's trash just so you can "rescue" a 1960s vintage TV that is destined for the landfill, you're using a double standard, and that's not very sensible.

Using your same line of reasoning, what's make you feel entitled to take people's TVs that they clearly put out to the curb for the garbage man to haul off and then haul it home and restore it and put it to use? See yet again another double standard, it has nothing to do with "feeling entitled or wanting to steal something" it has to do with trying to save a perfectly good TV from getting taken to the landfill, because that's where that TV would of ended up anyhow since Goodwill doesn't accept TVs anymore!

Besides you're comment you just made was pointless, I actually took the TV back anyhow so it doesn't even matter!

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-26-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Perhaps it's time to close this thread. It's not serving a purpose except to fuel an argument that we don't need.

Just a suggestion
Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 PM
M is for Memory

Here in SE Wi. The TV ban only applies to decent sized CRT TVs.....So the policy is NOT ALL TVs NATIONWIDE. LCDs and small portables (as well as Karaoke machines with CRT monitors) show up for sale at Goodwills regularly.....Hell I've even seen a pair of 19" BPC color sets somehow make it to one store's sales floor this summer (I can only guess how they slipped in).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to close this thread. It's not serving a purpose except to fuel an argument that we don't need.

Just a suggestion
I agree, I returned that tv to the dropbox area (it was outside of it so it wasn't like I took it from inside the box which is technically the area they don't want you taking stuff out of, outside they could care less because technically when its outside of the box they consider it trash because then it falls under the Dumping rules). But anyways I think we can close this thread down since I don't need it anymore.
Audiokarma