Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:56 PM

Best Current Radio??

My mother would like to get a decent radio without the size involved in a receiver with speakers. I am thinking Henry Kloss' Tivoli, as it gets decent reviews. Someone else has recommended the GE Superadio (which is, obviously, no longer a GE product). But I am wondering what some of you might be listening to out there and what you think/recommend?

This will be a kitchen/breakfast room radio and must be something readily available in the U.S.

Also, having good-to-excellent selectivity is a requirement, as her local NPR stations is being infringed upon by a nearby 50kW station spouting its propaganda.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Admin

Its hard to go wrong with the Tivoli for 100.00 new. My bedroom system consists of a KLH 21. If you go the vintage route like i did it will certainly cost more since any table radio 30-40 years old will need an alignment. That makes the tivoli which i happen to like that much more appealing.

Grumpy
Old 11-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Peanut Head

Either the GE or the Tivoli are good choices. If she wants portability, then give the nod to the GE. The Tivoli may require an external antenna for the best performance and it's AM performance is only so-so. Most people buy the GE for the superior AM reception and switchable bandwidth. The Tivoli has the better build quality and very nice real wood cabinets. Both are good sounding radios.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:39 PM
tube gear fanatic

ill second the ge superradio.i have one and the selectivity is excellent even with the built in ferrite rod antenna and im sure it would do what you want it to.cant comment on the tivoli though ive wanted one but just never got around to picking one up.another radio to consider is the c crane although a bit more expensive than either the ge or tivoli it should also be quite selective.c crane
chris
Old 11-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I dunno-I have a Superradio 3 & have been a bit disappointed w/it. Just doesn't seem to be all that sensitive, build quality only average, just isn't quite what I expected. But then, I might be jaded-I judge AM stuff by R-390A standards, & FM stuff by my ICOM R-7000. -Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 11-15-2004, 08:12 AM
styler

radio recs

i too have the super radio... not what it used to be. need to get t modded! LOL

i'd go to a thrift store and look for a radio... on the other hand, i have heard the Tivoli and it sounds very good and is very simple.

rat shack has Grundigs on sale here... they have some extras which might be nice in emergencies. just a thought.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:27 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactive
another radio to consider is the c crane although a bit more expensive than either the ge or tivoli it should also be quite selective.c crane
chris
The CC radio plus is an Excellent radio with great selectivity.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was going to suggest the CC Radio as well. I lucked out and got one at a garage sale for $6.00 and it is by far the best radio with the most logical lay-out that I have ever used. I loved it so much I took it to work and now have it on my desk. My opinion on the Superadio... CRAP. I have one and in my opinion it sucks. It is over-rated and has a "cheap" feel about it.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:34 PM

The GE superadio I and II were pretty good radios for the money but I
wasnt inpressed with the superadio III. I agree with some of the other
selections made in other posts. I would lean towards the CC radio or
or somthing like the Sangean ATS818ACS.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:33 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Since your mom is probably not a super-critical listener, and is looking for something reasonably compact and kitchen-breakfast nook friendly, have you given any thought to a B-b-b to a B-b-b-o- to a B-b-b-o-o...

I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to say it!

Clay
Old 11-15-2004, 07:40 PM

Nooooo!!!!! A thousand times noooooooo!!! We'd rather die a sterile, music-less death!!

But, thanks to all for your feedback. Probably go with the Tivoli now that I know it has the capability for an external antenna.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Admin

If ya didn't know the tivoli has some nifty neato stuff like a Subwoofer and CDP to match the radio.

Grumpy
Old 11-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Just a wild-ass thought..why not get her one of them late '50s-early '60s Zenith AM/FM tube sets? My gran had one, it was sensitive enuff to pull in Black Mountain/Asheville, NC here-about 75 miles. Yeah, you can put an external antenna on 'em, & I think they made about 3 jillion of 'em in all different varieties. Get one for 25 bux, have the caps replaced for another 25 or so, & you're all set. Plus, you/she'll have something that's going up in value-OK you won't be able to retire off it, but at least it won't be valueless in a few years. Like I said, just a thought. Prolly a bad one, but that's just me...<grin>-Sandy G.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:02 PM

Needs to be completely hassle-free for my 83 year-old mother. Having a tube or cap pop or not work, etc., would not be to her liking. Think modern, small SS is the way to go for her.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Peanut Head

Go with the Tivoli then. It's very easy to use. I had to tweak my GE out to get the alignment just right, but what do you expect out of a $40 radio? The CC Radio has good sensitivity and alot of features, but nothing much in the way of fidelity. I own one of those too and the Tivoli and GE smoke it in sound quality.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Audiokarma