Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
i <3 my Denon

Sangean ATS-909X - any good?

Hey all,

Years ago, I owned a Radio Shack DX-398, which was a rebrand of the infamous Sangean ATS-909. I originally bought it because it was able to pick up short wave in the middle of the mall.

Anyway, I grew very attached to this radio. Its perfomance across all bands was remarkable. The radio was taken by an ex...probaly sold it. She really wanted to tee me off I guess, it worked, I still spit on the ground whenever anyone speaks her name.

In the long run, it kind of worked out. I live in what was *the* testbed for BPL (Broadband over Power Line) for the US. I believe we are actually listed as the largest test installation. And I knew people that had it. Sure, they loved it, I reminded them how I petitoned the FCC to block it...it made the SW band entirely unusable. Nothing but pusing static as unshielded HV lines emit a wideband 2 - 80mhz signal. I lived just a mile outside of the "range"..could not subscribe, but had to live with this horrible technology. I haven't listened to shortwave in 6 years.

But BPL is apparently gone. The company sold to the city, city tried to run it, lost money, and last I heard, turned the BPL network off. So, in theory, my shortwave bands should be clear and open again. I'm ready to throw the long-wire antenna over the roof and DX again.

I went looking for another 398/909. You can still find them, in fact, Sangean was still making them, till last year when they brought out the 909x.

This radio is smaller than the original 909 and is apparently different inside; with more DSP processing. I can get either one for the same price, there's a place selling completely modded out 909's for just $100 more (antenna balun, upgraded IFs, better speaker).

Has anyone had their hands on both of these units and able to make a comparison? Will I be happy with the 909x, or should I stick with the original, since its what I know?

Thanks!

-Jay