Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Trouble That Couldn't Happen

I was thumbing around at:

American Radio History Dot com

I happened to read an article titled:

"The Trouble That Couldn't Happen"

By Milton Lowens

On pages 94 to 96 in the January 1967 Radio Electronics Magazine, the story was continued in the February issue but it is not available.

About a Magnavox TV that the picture flipped vertically and horizontally without anyone changing the yoke connections.

Anybody read this article and its conclusion ?

Can anyone venture a hypothesis ?

Try to have a good day after wrapping the head around this one !

rrrhre2s
Old 12-18-2014, 12:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

when I was a kid, I removed the back from our 19" Zenith color set (1969 vintage), and rotated the yoke so the picture was upside down. Didn't take my mom too long to find the culprit (me)
Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

It IS availble now...

I downloaded both issues...

And...the ANSWER...does NOT really make electrical sense to me !!

Last edited by rca2000; 03-09-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

If you're not getting the "and backwards" part, it's not electrical sense needed.

The picture was upside down. It was not really backward - left was still left and right was still right. But, the handedness of lettering was reversed - that is, if you turned yourself upside down so that the picture no longer appeared top at bottom and vice versa, the lettering would appear reversed, just as it does in a mirror.

If both vertical and horizontal were reversed, and you turned yourself upside down to view, lettering would appear normal.

----
If you're really talking about the electrical set up - he didn't say where the reverse winding (electron) current was going - it was going from the plate (now shorted to the black wire) to the boost tap, I believe.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
If you're not getting the "and backwards" part, it's not electrical sense needed.

The picture was upside down. It was not really backward - left was still left and right was still right. But, the handedness of lettering was reversed - that is, if you turned yourself upside down so that the picture no longer appeared top at bottom and vice versa, the lettering would appear reversed, just as it does in a mirror.

If both vertical and horizontal were reversed, and you turned yourself upside down to view, lettering would appear normal.

----
If you're really talking about the electrical set up - he didn't say where the reverse winding (electron) current was going - it was going from the plate (now shorted to the black wire) to the boost tap, I believe.
THAT is what I was wondering about. With the original winding open--there should have been NO deflection at all-not reversed. So--there had to be a path for it somewhere. I understood the phase reversal--just not where it could RETURN to. I FIGURED it had to be to the boost tap.
Audiokarma