Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:06 PM
jonjonbear

Talking Newbie here with Gramma's Magnavox

Hello group.
Brand new here. Name's John and I live near Austin Tx in Bastrop. I have a 1964 Magnavox 25" color console with air powered remotes. My grandparents displayed this proudly in their Las Vegas home from the time I was still in Diapers. When grampa died I couldn't part with their entire living room so kept it all including said Magnavox. It has not been used since about 1977 and somewhere around 1970 had a new picture tube put in. Needless to say she tries to work. Biggest problem is the remote is whacked and it turns its self on and off. I tried years ago to bypass the remote chassis but was unable to. I did manage to aquire a sams repair guide for it but have not been able to find anyone locally who will touch the darn thing(liabilities). I am just not quite savvey enough to work on the thing myself, specially without any equipment. So what to do, I posted a message on a newsgroup asking advice on how to take out the old parts and put in new stuff. My thought was to take out the TV and old sound system, buy a 25" tv and take it apart and mount the CRT in place of the old one behind the old bezel, put a new amp and at least I would have a working TV. I think this horrified a few guys (does me too really) but don't know what else to do. Can't bring myself to part with the thing but would like a TV and sound system that works. My stepdad bless his heart used to own a TV shop back "in the day" and told me that these were like TV Cadillacs and had one of the best sound systems around. Unfortunately his health won't permit him to help me with this. I remember how it sounded, would blow you out of the house. It's one of them big six foot or so long ones with the doors over the front and turn table on the left and the tuner and stereo on the right. Odd thing is, the TV has tubes (that stay on) but the amp for the stereo seems to be solid state?
You can see part of it here in this picture:

See Magnavox here

Always thought it was neat. To turn it on you pushed a tiny red button and it would turn on and push again to raise the volume, and to turn the channel you pushed a different button and it would advance the tuner to the next channel or reject the records on the turntable. Very cool! Only thing that sucked is Magnavox never thought of putting the channel indicator on the front so you could see what channel you were on!

Anyway it looks like I have found a place where old TV fans are so wanted to see what you all thought or might recommend.
Thanks in advance!!!!
John
Old 01-25-2005, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think most here would advise to restore the set rather than install a new one. These were good sets in their day and since the CRT was replaced it could still make a good picture if it is still good. What is the Sams number that you have. Better yet what is the chassis number (T-???) or model number. Maybe someone here can help. A better picture would be nice.
Good luck.
Bill R
Old 01-26-2005, 06:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wish you were nearer to our shop in Midland, we work on this kind of equipment all the time!
There should be a switch for Auto/manual on the rear...does that switch appear to be functional...it should allow you to turn the TV on/off with the power switch on the radio chassis. Sounds like there may be a problem in the power switch or in the function switch for AM, FM, phono, TV, etc.
There is a switch on the rear for "quick picture", I would turn that off so you aren't burning your tubes all the time. I think it helps conserve on the tube life to shut off that function and just let the TV warm up when you need it.
Also, there were some Magnavox TV/stereo consoles that had a channel indicator on the front, under the screen, driven with a cable like a speedometer cable.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

take a better pic.
sounds like the monster i have here.
wanna hear a bunch of cussing?be here when i ask friends if they can help move one of these!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:04 AM
jonjonbear

Good morning guys,
I will have to dig out that Sams I have and pull off the back to see what the chassis numbers are. We just moved and it took three movers to bring it in from the truck!! Chad I saw your website and do wish you were closer!!! I think it does have a switch for the quick on feature on the back but don't remember seeing one for the auto/manual. Will have to take a look. Haven't really messed with it for a while since we have been in the process of building a new house and moving and stuff. The biggest problem of gettiing this thing fixed is getting it to a shop. that would deem nearly impossible given it's weight and size. I wonder if there are any electronics hobbiests who redo chassis? I had my Wurlitzer Jukebox amp done that way. Took out the amp, sent it to Georgia and a guy recapped it and sent it back and it works fine. If I could find a service like that, might also be an alternative repair.
Will get some better pictures too.
Thanks guys!!
John
Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2005, 08:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

As I remember there usually is a switch on the remote receiver chassis itself for manual/remote.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Possible help in Manor

I have a buddy that lives in Manor who has lots of expertise with these Maggies. He's had a ton of Astro-Sonics over the years including the remote monsters. I'll give him a ring and PM you with his response.

HA1156W
Old 01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I live in Buda, near Austin, and have an oversupply of TV tubes (non-crt). If you need any for this project, let me know and they are yours.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:09 AM
jonjonbear

Thanks guys.
Good to find someone close by! This has sure helped me decide to keep it all original and try to make it work again!!
John