Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Sounds like a fun radio. With 4 tuning stages and push-pull audio I'm sure it was a pretty impressive performer back in it's day.
I'm sure it was!

I got a glimpse of the radio that mine is based on (the American Bosch Model 28) and it was made of Mohogany with a Maple Inlay around where the tuning dial went and the speaker for that radio looked like a Gothic Cathedral, it was quite an impressive looking set.

I noticed that my radio has 2 volume controls, one that is a potentiomenter that is controlled by a knob that is linked to the potentiometer with 2 pulleys and a belt (dial string), and another one that is a knob linked to a of some sort, any ideas as to what those two volume controls are for?

Also the inside of the speaker cabinet has some chunks of wood missing from where the speaker itself attached to the cabinet and the cabinet took a tumble at some point in time in its life and the weight of the speaker was enough to blow out the wood around where the screws were that fastened the speaker to the front of the cabinet, do you have any suggestions about how to repair that damage?

I was thinking of using a wood epoxy of some sort if such a thing exists and filling in the missing wood chunks and then putting the speaker back in the way it was originally.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 08-08-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:21 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
I noticed that my radio has 2 volume controls, one that is a potentiomenter that is controlled by a knob that is linked to the potentiometer with 2 pulleys and a belt (dial string), and another one that is a knob linked to a of some sort, any ideas as to what those two volume controls are for?
Hard to say without seeing where second is wired into the circuit. A guess is that someone added a second volume at the input to the 1st audio amp so they could run the gain of the RF stages higher.

Quote:
Also the inside of the speaker cabinet has some chunks of wood missing from where the speaker itself attached to the cabinet and the cabinet took a tumble at some point in time in its life and the weight of the speaker was enough to blow out the wood around where the screws were that fastened the speaker to the front of the cabinet, do you have any suggestions about how to repair that damage?

I was thinking of using a wood epoxy of some sort if such a thing exists and filling in the missing wood chunks and then putting the speaker back in the way it was originally.
Wood glue or epoxy mixed with sawdust pressed into the voids. When it hardens sand flush and re-drill the holes.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:35 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
I just realized that the second volume control you speak of must be the variable antenna coupling transformer? I guess you could say it's a second volume control, although technically an antenna tuning control. It has something to do with the very good selectivity.