Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got some CRC QD Electronic cleaner from an auto parts store and sprayed the tuner mechanism while manuvering the vanes. both sides nice and slow letting it evaporate

Now the tuner is nice and smooth and clean. No noise and it picks up the complete AM band with no problem

I'll get the correct cream chicken head (and maybe a red one) for the dial knob

This little radio is completely restored now and ready to sit on my shelf for twenty years

Thanks to all who listened
Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh, but BEWARE, Me Olde Sonne, for these be Scurrilous 'n' Devious creatures, these Cute Widdle Midgets...You'll decide its gettin' LONELY, so you'll scour the local Aunty-Kew Stores/Junque Shoppes til you find ANOTHER 'un...And then you'll spy a Zenith Bakelite AM/Fm that wants to go home w/you...Then, it'll be a wooden Sparton or something from thirties who wants a lovig home...B4 you know it, you'll have a Tooob Radidio starin' back atcha from every flat space in yr house...Just NEVER, EVER, EVER fall under the spell of an R-390A or one of its other boatanchor brethren...You'll be DOOMED, I tell you...DOOMED !! (grin)
Old 05-22-2011, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gosh Mr. Pirate sounding guy I'll be careful

uhhh what is a R-390A anyway?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'll mention in passing on the tuning condenser most sets the outside plates will have cuts in them. That's so you can vary a small amount capacitance over a small part or the dial. On the Silvertone it doesn't matter much but if dial had a lot of divisions you would use theses split plates to adjust the tracking (set the tuning across the whole dial and all the stations in the right places.)

The R-390A is a big old BA military receiver circa 1953-early 1980's. Lots of filters, audio and IF, Mechanical digital dial, Very accurate, and sensitive. Some say it's the best of the tube type receiver ever made. They use a bunch of tubes like 20+ and weigh close to 100 pounds. I've got 2.
http://www.r-390a.net/

Terry

Last edited by 7"estatdef; 05-23-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sandy G., Old Cuss, you must be a hoot in person!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'm NOT. I'm a mean, ornery, hateful, baleful old bastard who'd HAPPILY steal flies from a blind spider. Why, I bought the Old Ladies' Home & kicked 'em all out... I HATE everybody & don't particularly much care if they hate me...I've been in a Foul Mood since at least 1971. Every morning, I get up, brush my teeth-And then Sharpen my tongue. I felt GOOD once, about 1983, but fortunately, I soon got over it. Heaven doesn't want me, & The Other Place is afraid that I'll take over...
Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 PM
M is for Memory

Verry humourous posts sandy G.

BTW I think I've been radio "Doomed" for about a decade or so. Now I'm starting to get TV "doomed" (which is doomed to the power of doomed + the square root of national debt if anyone wants to know).

I'm also plagued by other small collections of electrical and electronic junk that are lower priority collections or dead/semi-dead interests from years past that I just can not bring myself to part with.

Watch out 'cause once you collect enough stuff it starts to breed!

Tom C.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know it breeds,

For me it started with vintage 70's solid state Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood, Akai, Marantz whatever I could get my hands on with wood cases and VU meters

I got a complete SS set up with 250 watts, R2R, dual cassette, 8-track, turntable, CD and an iPod dock with RCA outputs

And then the tubes radio came

And the tube consoles

And the German radios

My name is Omegaman and I am an Audioholic

At least I am now able to recap them. When I started I didn't know a capacitor from a rectifying Canootten Valve
Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

ANOTHER "Dangerous" addiction of mine are Guns, particularly handguns. Hell-O Fuzzy, they "Talk" to me as bad or worse than Radidios 'n' TVs do....And, being a German, & therefore constitutionally unable to leave Well Enough Alone, I MUST Polish ze Gunz und make zem Shinen like ze Neu Pfennigs...(grin)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 PM
M is for Memory

I started collecting (mostly 70's) stereo equipment back in the early 2000's (I was about 12 at the time) when most units could be found at garage sales for a mere 10$. Unfortunatly I had to move and my folks made me sell much of it, but I continue to collect to this day, and now have such good stuff that my folks know they can't get rid of it without getting rid of me!

Tom C.
Audiokarma