Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2015, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
A notch filter is only applied to luma, never to chroma (it would eliminate the color signal from the color circuits!). So, you are seeing the expected effect with a notch filter set, with luma in the color bandpass showing as flickering color.The short shutter time used for the picture captures one phase of the cross color instead of averaging it out, making it look worse.

In both shots (color on and color off), the black level (don't know if it's labeled "brightness" on this set) is set too low. This makes the darker gray scale chips all look black, and may have prompted the chroma to be turned up too high to bring up the red and blue bars, also increasing the visibility of the cross color.
I tried, various setup of brightness/contrast , and it is true that higher contrast (lower brightness) seems to help a bit, but the worst offender here is the "color" ajusting. I can get the color where it's not blooming that much anymore...but the picture gets very dull (not much colors).

Could it be that, a mix of cheap RF modulation and macrovision fed to a television that wasn't desing to receive and process that kind of signal could "degrade" the picture like that? How do you guys with roundy go about to get the very best image on your sets?

Oh and BTW, I am still not getting any snow when the TV receive no signal, only a white uniform picture. Could it give a clue to what's wrong?

Thanks!