Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
NIGHT STALKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol.2 View Post
There are some low cost scope options for someone on a budget that will at least give you some feedback. For around $100 you can get a little handheld battery powered one that will be high enough to capture the bandwidth of a crystal.
Yeah, I don't exactly feel like blowing a hundie just to debunk ONE crystal, especially when a replacement crystal probably costs less than the oscilloscope itself!

I measured various PSU voltages, just to be sure:
19.77v line = 18.77v
12.10v(A) line = 12.40v
12.10v(B) line = 12.36v
12.09v(A) line = 12.39v
160v line = 155v
11.60v line = 9.80v (measured from C559 instead of L351 because I didn't bother playing this game of Where's Waldo long enough)
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luRaichu View Post
Yeah, I don't exactly feel like blowing a hundie just to debunk ONE crystal, especially when a replacement crystal probably costs less than the oscilloscope itself!

I measured various PSU voltages, just to be sure:
19.77v line = 18.77v
12.10v(A) line = 12.40v
12.10v(B) line = 12.36v
12.09v(A) line = 12.39v
160v line = 155v
11.60v line = 9.80v (measured from C559 instead of L351 because I didn't bother playing this game of Where's Waldo long enough)
Looks good enough to me. As I mentioned earlier, you could also trace the voltages around the board. If there's a break in the PCB somewhere, that's usually a good way to find it because voltages are stable and predictable. Also, since you don't have a scope, you won't be able to check the various waveform that the Sam's calls out. Which, incidentally, is also a good reason to have at least a basic scope. You can look at all of those little black windows in the Sam's to make sure they look right.

If you plan on doing this kind of thing any more than this one set, a scope is a pretty core tool in electronics troubleshooting
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
NIGHT STALKER

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, you could also trace the voltages around the board. If there's a break in the PCB somewhere, that's usually a good way to find it
I'd likely need a fuller picture of the Sams' for that. Right now, I only have about a dozen pages out of 30. And I seriously doubt the board is broken, as the picture was perfect pre-recap. If it were fractured, how the flinkerjub would I begin repairing such a fault?

Quote:
Also, since you don't have a scope, you won't be able to check the various waveform that the Sam's calls out. Which, incidentally, is also a good reason to have at least a basic scope. You can look at all of those little black windows in the Sam's to make sure they look right.
And I sure wonder how'd you go about fixing a bad waveform. Actually, I think it might be worth it to buy the full Sams' for this TV, considering all the problems we're wading through.

Quote:
If you plan on doing this kind of thing any more than this one set, a scope is a pretty core tool in electronics troubleshooting
This is a one-time ordeal. I hope.

About the H disable circuit - I'm seriously stumped as to why it's being activated. Hopefully our lord and savior Sams' shall yield thy answers...

Last edited by luRaichu; Yesterday at 09:28 PM. Reason: dubstep rave trap remix in a nightcore nightclub
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luRaichu View Post
I seriously doubt the board is broken, as the picture was perfect pre-recap.
You clearly had issues or you wouldn't have been recapping anything. But even so, problems can get worse or become less intermittent when you work on thing or have it on for longer. Just moving stuff around and (more importantly) heating things up has a tendency to make problems come out.

Quote:
If it were fractured, how the flinkerjub would I begin repairing such a fault?
You would bridge over the traces with wire, or solder bodge wires to restore continuity to the broken trace(s).

I'm not suggesting that it's the most likely problem, but it's a possible problem that should be fairly easy to check out with a multimeter.

Quote:
And I sure wonder how'd you go about fixing a bad waveform. Actually, I think it might be worth it to buy the full Sams' for this TV, considering all the problems we're wading through.
You would take the bad waveform as evidence that the circuit is pooched in that particular area of the board and start testing components connected to it. Some people are good enough to know what is likely wrong just from that, but I would have to just test stuff mostly. If the waveform originates from an IC and not a group of discrete components, it might be a sign of a bad IC, and it is usually possible to lift things out of the circuit and test the output of the IC removed from any possible shorts or loads and see if it's good or not.

Quote:
About the H disable circuit - I'm seriously stumped as to why it's being activated. Hopefully our lord and savior Sams' shall yield thy answers...
I wouldn't know. Hopefully one of these other oldbies can't point you right. My level of troubleshooting is "okay," and I can generally figure stuff out if it's right in front of my face and I'm working on it.
Old Today, 10:12 AM
NIGHT STALKER

Quote:
You clearly had issues or you wouldn't have been recapping
I recapped because HOTs kept blowing out. Did you see this?